Just before Bottling?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

Reaction score
Okay, my first batch of wine has been stabilized and is clearing very well. Just looking for any recommendations on what to do once it is completely clear and I start bottling.

Thanks,

Steve

Groton, CT

You have stabilized.

If you plan to sweeten, do so. Since you stabilized, it's great.

Make sure you have sanitized your bottles at the most 1/2 hour before you bottle. (and all your bottling equipment)

Otherwise, I'd say, CHEERS!
smiley1.gif
don't forget to pour yourself at least a half a glass while bottling.
smiley2.gif

insert the corks as fast as you can (when you push them in, so they don't expand and stick to the bottle and fold under)

rack to a bottling bucket or your primary fermenter first, don't try to
rack from the carboy into the bottles, you will stir up sediment

Steve,

Have you filtered the wine ? If not then I would advise to give it a go as this will give you ultimate clarity and a brilliant sparkle to your wine
smiley1.gif

I would highly recommend getting a few empty bottles and making a trial run Steve with just plain ole water. Get a feel for how everything is going to go. I would even go ahead and cork a couple too. A few corks is cheap experience.

If you are going to add shrinks to them I would also recommend doing that before I put the labels on if you are going to use the boiling water method.. I always clean my filled bottles again toobefore applying the labels to them.Edited by: Waldo

Thanks for all the good info, I'll let everyone know how it turns out when I get done.

Steve

Waldo said:
I would highly recommend getting a few empty bottles and making a trial run Steve with just plain ole water. Get a feel for how everything is going to go. I would even go ahead and cork a couple too. A few corks is cheap experience.

If

Excellent suggestion!

JC

So, I drew a sample this evening to see how clear it would be in a glass and then have a taste... I found it to be super clear in the glass, but when I tasted it there is a strong taste of sulfur (I think) and it seems like a slight carbonation. It also seemed to be a little weak in the taste department, but the other stuff may have been over powering it.
smiley19.gif

Is this normal and it will go away with age or do I have a big problem?

Steve

Edited by: Steve

You still have dissolved CO2 in you wine and need to take care of it before bottling. The smellis normal when you have gas...
smiley36.gif
...in your wine!

1. <LI>Rack the wine into another sanitized carboy to separate from the lees that have settled.
    <LI>Make sure the wine temp is at least 70 degrees (75 is best)
    <LI>Stir well to force the CO2 out of the wine. A drill mounted stirrer is best for this task and will be the most valuable tool and best money spent as a winemaker if you don't have one already.
    <LI>If you didn't add any extra meta other than what came in the kit go ahead and add 1/4 tsp to help protect the wine with the extra stirring and racking.
    <LI>Top off well and let it rest at least a week and you should be ready to bottle if wine is clear and gas free when sampled.</LI>

more info on degassing:

http://www.finevinewines.com/Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7 85&amp;KW=degassingEdited by: masta

Ok, so I did as masta suggested, soI hope all turns out well. Being new at this, I am just afraid that the more I handle the wine I am going to ruin it. Edited by: Steve

Just keep everything clean and sanitized and you will be fine.

Keep us informed of your progress!

Waldo said:

If you are going to add shrinks to them I would also recommend doing that before I put the labels on if you are going to use the boiling water method.. I always clean my filled bottles again toobefore applying the labels to them.
Great advice Waldo. I actually used "used" corks to learn how to use my corker. We have always saved our old corks in a basket on the counter. We figured we might try some art deco thing in the future made out of corks plus it is really just a conversation piece and actually makes a nice center piece on a table.

Anyway. SO I get into this hobby and George sends me this huge contraption called an Italian Floor Corker. I look at it and wonder the mechanics of it. It looks simple enough but I wonder to self if it has to be adjusted any. So, I drag out some empties and stick a bottle in and grab an old used cork out of the basket and go to town. Was good experience to get used to my corker.

Waldo's advice would be great if you have an auto filler for your bottles to get used to it. I wish I had. I over flowed a few in the beginning and still do now if I am not thinking. Yeah, it shuts off when the bottle is full but if you pull it out of the bottle wrong, it will pop back on plus the overflow tube will back flush if not at a low enough level.

Smurfe

The first timewe bottled, what a mess. When I placed the siphon in the wine, the wine overflowed onto the floor
smiley19.gif
Note to self ....."Always draw out some wine with the wine thief before placing the syphon in the wine." mwm

smurfe said:
Waldo's advice would be great if you have an auto filler for your bottles to get used to it. I wish I had. I over flowed a few in the beginning and still do now if I am not thinking. Yeah, it shuts off when the bottle is full but if you pull it out of the bottle wrong, it will pop back on plus the overflow tube will back flush if not at a low enough level.

Smurfe

Honestly? I have a filler, and I don't like it. It must be operator error because a lot of people use it. I simply use a a racking tube with a tube clamp. I eyeball the level of the wine in the bottle, and always have 2-3 next to it so that I'm mostly equal. This, too, takes a fair amount of practice but I'm the type of person: The less things I have to handle/think about, the better. 1 tube and 1 clamp and 1 bottle is perfect for me.

But this is just me. Like I said, it must be operator error.
smiley9.gif
smiley36.gif

Back