Juice bucket that was well underway is stuck @ 1.004

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kevin,
That's a lot of nutrient, adding that much can come back to bite you in the arse, nutrient that isn't used up by the yeast can actually be used to feed spoilage organisms.
We should all test our hydrometers regularly using a 25 brix solution, it is easy and fast, and you can find out just how accurate you hydrometer is, if it is off a few a few points, your wine could actually be below 1.000.
How many days has it been at the same gravity reading? At least three?
To check your hydrometer check this link out - Calibrate me

It is to sweet for me and my hydrometer is calibrated OK.

Last batch went to .992, so the hydrometer measures OK at lower SG.
The hydrometer was 1.000 with 58o water.

I am going to give it another good stir to release some of the CO2 today. Beyond that waiting is all I can think of.
or
Should I splash rack it to other carboys to reduce the exposed surface area? In a 6.5 gal now, with full exposure.

When I added the first nutrient there was the faintest SO odor starting as well. So, I think I will be OK on the nutrient, but no more can go in.

Kevin,
I wouldn't splash rack it, what temp is it at? If I understand you correctly, you have head space in the carboy? I would think so sine it is a 6 gallon bucket and a 6.5 gallon carboy, if this is the case, yes, you need to get rid of the head space, if you can rack it to a smaller carboy or top it off. The SO2 that is produced by active fermentation which helps to protect the wine isn't being produced.
If the wine is sitting at a temp below 70°, I'd bring the temp back up, and gently stir it, you want to give the yeast a little oxygen, this may help it.
You've already added additional yeast, did you hydrate the yeast, allowing it to multiply?

It is in a 6.5 gal carboy, air locked but a lot of surface area. Started @ 1.012 sg so not a lot of CO2 creation since. The juice was a bit fizzy when I bought it. I'll move it to a 5 gal carboy and smaller side containers.

Ambient temp is 74-76 F in the boiler room.

I did hydrate in 3/4 cup warm water for 30 min, and then added 3/4 cup of the wine for 15 min then added to carboy.

I could try again with more yeast. I have K1-1116, 71b-1122 and Montrachet on hand.

Last edited:
I'm pretty good at the chemistry, Worked 12 years as a research chemist in extractive metallurgy - 2nd family elements. Wine is my chem lab fix.

Down to 1.001 and still making tiny bubbles. Air lock burps about once every 80 seconds. May be done in March.

I do trust the SG, I was just commenting that there does appear to be fermentation activity. Low and behold it's down to .998 today and bubbling faster than it ever has. I may make it to dry before March!!

Sounds like it is doing alright even if slow. I wouldn't add any more nutrient at this point. When it gets a bit lower it should be alright to finish it up as normal.

Latest posts

Back