Juice bucket primary 4 weeks ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jagmar

Junior
Reaction score
I am making a few batches of fresh juice buckets from "Pur Vin" in Montreal - and their instructions indicate to pitch the yeast in the bucket and let it ferment for 4 weeks ( in the bucket) - and only then, if the SG is 995 or less to rack into carboy. My SG has been at .995 since day 14... I'm just uneasy with the time in the primary bucket being so long.... all my other batches (kit wines) - get racked into secondary/carboy day 5-7... any thoughts ?

thanks

Claire

Do not go by time. You should go according to your sg readings. The instructions should tell you to rack out of your primary (bucket) just as soon as your SG dips below 1.000.

Unless you do a cold fermentation, 4 weeks is excessive.

In a primary, with a lot of head space, your wine is protected by the CO2 gas that is produced during fermentation. Once fermentation slows down, you will lose that protection (since less and less CO2 is being produced). This is why it is best to go with your SG readings. That is the best way to tell if fermentation is complete or is near complete.

Last edited:
My juice bucket said the same thing. I didn't leave it that long, I think I racked in closer to 21 days. I had the same feelings, don't let it sit on the gross lees and dead yeast too long. Lotys of people do, but I just don't like that "chardonnay-like" flavor it gives my wines.

Thanks for your input. We racked them - they were reading .990 - and its been 21 days. Funny this shop' instructions recommend so little effort on our part it makes me nervous. Only yeast is added on day 1 (no bentonite), then only sorbate is added when fermentation is over 28 days or less ( no potassium metabisulphite etc) - and optional is a clarifier. It feels quite bio - but we wont know the end result for quite a while. It does look - taste and smell good so far!

Claire

Unless you plan on back sweetening the wine, you don't need to add sorbate. You absolutely need to add meta (potassium metabisulfite) when fermentation is complete to stabilize the wine, unless you plan on putting it through MLF, then you wouldn't add meta until after MLF is complete.
What type of wine are you making?

I double checked with the store - owner - and she said that the potassium metabisulphite is not required with their juices... - their website http://www.purvincanada.com/ - they have a lot more varieties in store. We are making several :
#250 - ZINFANDEL/CABERNET/MERLOT Californian - Extra - Caldora Cellars
#785 - MERLOT - Oak Valley Oak Valley Cellars - Rich
and a white - #366F(late harvest) - RIESLING / SYLVANER - French-Rich- Vandermilch.
Still not convinced either way - part of me likes the thought of going organic - the other worries about spoilage...
They also dont mention degassing the wine when we rack - but we are doing it regardless ( 6 times in a 24 hour period with a degassing drill rod).

I understand that they say it is not required, it isn't required with any wine that is made, however, without it, you will have a greater chance of spoilage and potential reduced shelf life.

Perhaps they meant you don't need to kmeta the juice at the beginning? I can't see how it will be protected after fermentation if you don't add it. It would spoil rather quickly.

Or maybe they got their sorbate and sulfite mixed up on the directions?

Edit: Lol Tom! beat me to it!

To be safe (...) - If I go ahead and add the k-meta (stabilizing stage) - should I add 1/2 teaspoon to my 6 gallon carboy ?

thx

I double checked with the store - owner - and she said that the potassium metabisulphite is not required with their juices... - their website http://www.purvincanada.com/ - they have a lot more varieties in store. We are making several :
#250 - ZINFANDEL/CABERNET/MERLOT Californian - Extra - Caldora Cellars
#785 - MERLOT - Oak Valley Oak Valley Cellars - Rich
and a white - #366F(late harvest) - RIESLING / SYLVANER - French-Rich- Vandermilch.
Still not convinced either way - part of me likes the thought of going organic - the other worries about spoilage...
They also dont mention degassing the wine when we rack - but we are doing it regardless ( 6 times in a 24 hour period with a degassing drill rod).

Not sure how deep you want to get into this hobby but it sounds like it is time to invest into some testing equipment.....

Sam

Latest posts

Back