Jalapeno Wine- Too Much Tannin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

contactme_11

Reaction score
I was making a batch of jalapeno wine yesterday and I accidently put an extra teaspoon in. Is there anything I can do or should I just prepare for the worst? The worst being I'll have to wait for years and years to drink it.

Make a complementary kit and blend it. 1 tsp is a lot of tannin

Sample it and see how bad it is. You may like it with the Jalapeno. Odds are you will have to blend it. I believe it can be removed but I can't recall how. I just read about it a few days ago....I'll try to find it or remember and post it for you.

You can try cold stabilization. You may need to seed it with a little tartar.

Most TA test kits include instructions on how to add or remove acids.

You can try cold stabilization. You may need to seed it with a little tartar.

Most TA test kits include instructions on how to add or remove acids.

That's what I was trying to remember. Don't get old! Cold stabilize your wine. Several weeks if possible. That should drop out some tannin.

Thanks Sparky for jogging my memory.

Guess these old eyes are playing games with me. For some reason I read it incorrectly, Contactme added to much tannin not tartaric acid. Cold stabilization may not help.

Not sure if anything but long aging will help.

Regards,
John

If my forgetful mind doesn't get in the way here. I think you might want to try an egg white fining if the wine does hold on to the tannin additon too well. If its just generic grape tannin that was added it might drop out very easily on its own. If it was some of the good stuff like gran cor tannin you might need to try the egg whites.

If my forgetful mind doesn't get in the way here. I think you might want to try an egg white fining if the wine does hold on to the tannin additon too well. If its just generic grape tannin that was added it might drop out very easily on its own. If it was some of the good stuff like gran cor tannin you might need to try the egg whites.

What's the deal with egg whites? that's a new one to me???

Latest posts

Back