Jalapeño 357 Wine - Critique This Recipe/Process

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are just going to let it age several months before using it, I would just let it bulk age, then bottle it after 4 months (or whatever). Then see how clear it is and make a determination of whether Sparkolloid or Super Kleer is needed. I tend to only use it on Dragon's Blood (or something I want to drink right away) or something that has bulk aged for a very long time but just refuses to clear. Also, if this is for cooking only, I'm not sure I would bother with getting it super clear since it's not going to be sitting in a glass getting critiqued by someone.

1/2 tsp of Potassium Sorbate
What ending SG are you shooting for? Are you going to let it go dry and not backsweeten? If so, potassium sorbate really isn't necessary if you are bottling it after it hits below 1.00.

BTW "oxidized grapes" do Not hurt a thing
:wy Seriously? Let it go.

Last edited:
What ending SG are you shooting for? Are you going to let it go dry and not backsweeten? If so, potassium sorbate really isn't necessary if you are bottling it after it hits below 1.00.

I'm not sure if I will back sweeten. It's at 0.996 now.

Last edited:
Well, I'm done with the pepper wine. I'm happy with the outcome (except the label/bottle color coordination). I produced 24 750ml bottles of it from a setup in an old cellar. I did not disclose the exact recipe, which included but was not limited to the Carolina Reaper and Chocolate Habañero peppers.

JMERPW2016.JPG

JMERPW2016b.JPG

JMERPW2016a.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back