Cellar Craft Italian Barbera

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swillologist

Reaction score
It's a little late to be asking this but has anyone ever made this kit. It is the first kit that I have made. There should be some age on this one before it is drank. There is a storybehindthis. It involves my son getting married someday.
smiley36.gif
It should a couple of years on it at least before it is drank. It may have a lot more on it if he doesn't get his butt in gear. It took a long time to get to my question. Will this wine last up to 10 years if it needs too?

Edited by: swillologist

I dont know if anyone truly knows the answer to that question but I think it would require perfect cellar conditions to last that long. I have not made that kit but it sounds like it would be good.

I'm not sure I can do it either wade. I'm think of buying a wine storage unit or an old pop cooler and adjust it to keep wine. Hopefully the boy will find himself a girl before 10 year.
smiley36.gif

Just keep making many batches of wine...store/age and drink them along the way...Sooner or later he might get married and you can clean out the wine cellar.....

Share some wine with him and his ladies.....they might get married sooner that way.....
smiley4.gif

I doubt it. Most commercial wines won't last that long either. Even if it didn't go bad, it would be way past its peak so not nearly as good as it would be at the 2 year mark. Make more wine.

Thanks everyone. Guess I will have to get to work on that boy.
smiley36.gif
He has one more year of school. Maybe then he will start to look.

None of my business but what's the big rush to get him married? I was 28 and my husb was 33 when we got married (first for both of us) and 25 yrs later we're still together--most of our friends who married younger ended up divorced.

I don't want the wine to go bad.
smiley36.gif
There is no hurry. You couldn't hurry him if you wanted to. If he brings a girl home and you start talking abouthim having agirlfriend he will drop her. You won't see her again. We don't talk about girlfriends anymore. He's a little gun shy because of his brother's wife. He doesn't care much for her. Although he is getting over that some now. I just wanted a wine to be ready when he is readyI guess. I will take the advise given to me here and start another batch of something in another couple of years.

I have three boys and am not sure I will ever have grandchildren. The oldest one will be 29 soon, and he never brings any girls home. Like you Swill, if you ever talk about one to him- he clams up! I know a lot of girls notice him, but he doesn't seem to go out of his way to chase them......

The second one who is 17..................... who knows with him. He is a wandering soul right now.

The third one is 15. He shows the most interest in girls. He really wants to get his size down, but has no Will power(he hates that pun- Will being his name). He is about 6 foot tall and about 300 pounds. I know the girls like him too so there may be hope......... some day.

I am not reserving any wine for any of their weddings. Maybe by then I will have plenty of commercial offerings anyways(from yours truly).

My children both surprised me by waiting at all. (Gina and I married right out of high school) My son took the plunge first and in a big way. He graduated college, received his commission, and marriedall in the same week at age23.My daughter, on the other hand, seemed to have no intention of ever marrying. For the longest time, she talked as if marriage was an archaic concept that today's more enlightened youth had risen above. But she did a complete reversal about a year ago and is set to take those archaic vows August 8th, just before she turns 27. Kids are full of surprises.

This boy maybe the smart one. He will get his schooling done before he gets married. Something the other boy didn't do. That boy spent to much time chasing a girl. He's married now with to little boys, that we love to death. But he isworking a full time job and trying to get his degree on line. That pretty well keeps him busy. If we want to see him or the boys we have to go up there. That works out though the other boy lives in the town. So we get to see all of them in one trip.

We were at Best Buy this evening and they had wine cooler with some damage on it. Would that help me keep the wine longer? It will hold 30 bottles.Edited by: swillologist

I have another question. I did my 12 day racking (of course it was day 13). The SG is .994. Which is where they say it should be. I am in the process of degassing asI speak. I am holding around 12 inches right now. Got to bring that on up to 15. When I get there I will add the sorbate and the k-meta and the kieselsol and then the chitosan. It also said to add the oak. Then I am supposed to rack it back off in 21 days. Then I am supposed to bottle. This is whereI have a question. I plan on bulk aging for 3 to 6 months. Can I add the oak when I bulk age instead of right now? I think I would like to leave it on oak longer then the 21 days it calls for. I don't know if I will leave it on oak for 6 months but I think a couple of months would be good. Would this work?

Certainly. Like you, my inclination would be to add the oak at bulk aging and leave it for several months.

I agree, add it after racking off the lees and when ready to bulk age. Those instructions are made for the people who want to bottle it fast. Just taste it frequenty to prevent over oaking.

Thanks Peter and wade! I have the vacuum hold right at 15 inches right now. It's time to add the other things and let it clear. Then in 21 days I will rack it and add the oak.

I agree with Jackie......none of my business......but I am thinking when the time comes for your son to make that decision, he will. And education, maybe, should come first.
I am not getting the correlation between you wanting to marry off your son and aging wine for years?
smiley4.gif

So, Dad, go find a great wine kit to make, let it age, and YOU enjoy it!!
smiley36.gif

I'm in no hurry. There is no pushing this one anyway. He's going to do it in his own time. I'm just trying to find a wine that will last as long as he does.
smiley36.gif
He is hoping that he will be done with school in another year. The first couple of years I think he majored in partying. Which is OKafter all he is a kid. Life is to short now to have some fun along the way. If he finds a lady in time that he would like tospend his life with we will celibate it by drinking this wine. If not we will find another reason to celibate and drink the wine.
smiley20.gif

Swill,
I've got an idea for you! Why not plan on starting what you think will be a premium wine everyyear just to be ready if he does take the plunge. That way you have a continuous supply of premium wines starting in 09 as you wait!

Jack, now that is good advice for Swill!!! He may get a nice collection of high end wines waiting for his son to marry!!
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back