WineXpert Island Mist Sweetness

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

First250

Reaction score
(I'm not sure if this post belongs in this particular forum, but as I am still a Newbie and this forum is for us....)

hanks ,Wade for your kind offer concerning the Island Mist kits. I would indeed like to try making one of the kits, if I could be reasonably sure that it would not be too sweet (6 gallons of wine I wouldn't knowfor surewhat to dowith).
My wife has had peach chardonnay that she absolutely loved
smiley5.gif
(it should be for what it cost), and another that was fartoo sweet.
smiley11.gif
. The data sheets for the IM kits here show them asa sweetness of '10' .

Any advice thatyou or others may offer on this subjectwould beappreciated.

Thanks!

That list is kind of off on some. There are some very sweet Island mist kits out there but the Peach Chardonnay and the Green Apple Riesling are 2 of the 1's that are perfect and not to sweet.

You can adjust the sweetness on those kits by adjusting the amount of the F-Pack that is added. If you add it all, it is a pretty sweet wine. You add the F-Pack after fermentation so you can add, taste, adjust as needed!
smiley2.gif

The Mango Citrus Symphony is one that's not too sweet. Very refreshing on a hot summer day. I prefer dry wines and so far this is the only mist kit that I've liked (haven't tried the Green Apple Riesling though). I normally make those for friends who like sweet wine.

Hi

rrawhide here from central california. I did the Island Mist Blackberry Cab. I, too, do not like real sweet wines so what I did was put 1/2 of the F-pack in with the primary fermentation and let it work. After it was in the secondary I added french oak - heavy toast - and then at the 2nd racking added american oak. I never did add the balance of the f-pack. It turned out wonderful and everyone likes it too. Good luck and have fun but do not be afraid and step outside the boundries sometimes. But, remember, when you do this all warranties are voided. You never know - you might just hit something great but remember to take good notes so you can repeat it. enjoy the hobby.
smiley36.gif

I justbottled a Green Apple Reisling abou a month ago which turned out very good. My first Island Mist kit though I've been making wine now for about5 years. I followed advice of some here on the forum and added some sugar to bring up the alcohol level.

I preferdry reds myself, but my wife and our best friends will only drink sweet wines, so I maytry the Island Mist Blackberry Cab somewhere down the road. Raise myown blackberries and makea few gallons of sweet blackberry each year, but would like to try that kit also.

I agree with Jackie, I made the Mango Citrus and used all of the F pack and it was not sickening sweet. Refreshing on these hot Arizona summer days.
smiley36.gif

rrawhide, that IM blackberry cab sounds good!!! I may use your version of making it as I don't want it too sweet.
smiley17.gif

Has anyone made the Blueberry Pinot and how did it taste.I made the Rasberry Merlot and it was pretty sweet but the older it gets the better it seems only after 4 months i only have 4 bottles left.I guess i liked it pretty well.

I made the Blueberry Pinot Noir. It was alright but the Orchard Breezin' Cherry Pinot Noir was a WHOLE lot better! It is about gone. Everybody wants more!

I also made this kit and thought it was 1 of the best W.E. mist kits as it wasnt sweet at all and glad that I didnt up the abv on that 1 as it is very delicate. Everyone I gave a bottle to wanted a few more. Havnt tried the Orchard Breezin CP though. I have so many regular wines now and think I will make a few of these Mist kits again as I havent made any in 1 1/2 years and they are all very low or out.
Edited by: wade

I tried the blueberry and it wasn't my favorite. I also like the Peach chard. The strawberry is also pretty good. Haven't tried others as I like dry reds but the neighbors absolutely love these sweet wines. I also add the extra sugar although I think 5 pounds is a bit much for me. I add about 3 extra pounds prior to fermenting. I think I'll try the apple reisling next time.

The Green Apple Riesling is a very nice 1 and another that is better not played with too much as the flavor could get lost.

Latest posts

Back