Other Island Mist Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chatterbox

Reaction score
So we are finishing up our very first batch of wine in 12 days. We started out with an Island Mist Tropical Riesling to gain some experience on the process. I read that the alcohol content will only be about 7%. We bought two kits the other being an Island Mist Strawberry Zinfandel, I read some where you can add sugar to bring the content up? How much sugar? And are there any other steps I should take?<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

We are going to purchase a few 1 gallon glass jugs to start the process without a kit so that way if we mess up, its not tooooo much money down the drain!

I will have to post some of the pics we have taken :)

You will want to add about 3 1/2 lbs of sugar inverted by adding to 1 gallon of the boiling water so as it will dissolve properly so use the water that you would add to this kit. You should have a hydrometer handy and keep an eye on the SG. Dump your juice in and start adding the UNsweetened water until you are about 11/2 gallons short of the 6 gallon mark and see what Then start adding the sweetened water till you have a SG around 1.085 or there abouts and then finish up with plain water again if needed to get to 6 gallon mark. The only really difference this will make other then more alc. is that it will VOID the warranty of the product and take longer to ferment to dry which is no problem. As far as the warranty i wouldnt worry about that either as these kits never have a problem. Are you seperating this batch into 6-1 gallon jugs? Gonna have to mix all this back later to add the chemicals and F-pack if so.

Thanks for the advice!!!
No we will put this into a 6 gallon bucket and a 6 gallon carboy. The one gallon jugs I mentioned before are for other batches we would like to start. We chatted over dinner, and I think we may try a red wine kit next before we venture out on our own:)

It does sound like you are off to a fine start...good luck..
smiley32.gif

If venturing there are a few things that are almost a necessity for making country wines(fruit). You should have the rubber bugs and airlocks for those gallon jugs. You should have acid blend and pectic enzyme. You should have yeast nutrient and energizer. Lots of sugar on hand. Rubber bungs for 1500 and 750 ML bottles are very good to have also as with country wines you should start off with more than what you want to finish with so you dont have to try and find a like wine in which there usually arent any for topping off. Just my $.02 for you to be prepared for instead of finding out when you need it.

I dont blame you for starting with the mist kits.Its nice to have something to drink young while the others age.Besides they taste really good.I made the rasberry merlot in july and its pretty good atleast the first 3 gallons have been.That aging is a killer at my house.

Back