Other Island Mist Blackberry Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaudet

Reaction score
Helped my buddy bottle his first kit today, I think I got him hooked on this hobby. He wanted to try making wine for his hunting camp. We sampled some of it and I must say its a decent light wine. I think if I ever try a kit I will have to boost the SG a little cause it seems a little too light for me, but it does have a great taste. I think it just needs a little natural fortification.

Is this the Black Raspberry Merlot? I made that for a buddy and his wife. They're not really into dry full-bodied wines. At least not yet.
smiley2.gif

I added 4.5 lbs of sugar to this one because I knew it wouldn't get drank very qucikly and I wanted it to be a bit more stable if it needed to be aged for a few years. I wouldn't say that the extra alcohol added much body. It's pretty light-bodied and very sweet (I added the entire F-pack). I think it has a decent flavor, I just wish it had more body! My buddy and his wife love this wine though. Regardless, I probably won't make it again. Though the Island Mist Green Apple Riesling sounds delicious!

Its the blackberry merlot............... RJS Kit Orchard Breezin........... I thought it was the Island mist........ My mistake........
smiley23.gif

say I were to mix everything up in a 5 gallon batch, watching and adjusting SG and TAas necessary, would that add any noticeable body to the finished wine, or would I just be getting one less gallon of light-bodied wine?
EDIT: I was thinking of the Island Mist Blackberry Cabernet, but I believe the question is still relevant to both kitsEdited by: suprasteve

Those lines of wine are meant to be inexpensive light refreshing sem-sweet drinks to be enjoyed as a refreshing beverage. They still make a good bit higher alcohol drink by boosting the alcohol level, but will never be fuller bodied. If you cut it back to 5 gallons instead of 6, something will be out of whack because all the additives are for 6 gallons. If you think they are too light bodied for your taste, go with the Mosti Vinifera Noble line. They have much more body to them and are good early drinkers also. The only thing is they aren't sweet like the IM or Orchard Series. Edited by: appleman

When I have a six gallon fermenter free, I'm going to try George's suggestion to use one of these kits to make a pyment with 6-7 lbs. of honey to boost the alcohol.

dfwwino said:
When I have a six gallon fermenter free, I'm going to try George's suggestion to use one of these kits to make a pyment with 6-7 lbs. of honey to boost the alcohol.

dfwwino,
you won't be sorry, i've got mine in the secondary clearing a little more, and i have been stealing a little here and there (quality control you know
smiley4.gif
) and it is really good. I used half the flavor pack and itturned out realNICE! not too sweet. I'm going to bottle half and carbonate half in a corney just for fun. it could use a little more body as i guess should be expected for the type of kit. soo next time i may add some bananas to the primary.
enjoy!!!

NW I think it is just melting. I wondered the same thing at first also! If he was here right now, it would be getting fatter. Snowing like crazy at the moment.

No snow on the ground here.....
There has been some frosty mornings that looked like snow on everything.

Today it's clouding up and might get sleet tonight.

The guys are at the lake in a portable fish house...I am sure with this wind they are ready to blow away.

As a thought to try, I'll be starting a batch of Watermelon White Merlot soon and plan on adding half of the F-pack during secondary fermentation. This of course is after I boosted the SG to end up with a 12.5% or better wine. The last of the F-pack will be refrigerated untill its supposed to be added to the kit B4 clearing. I think this has helped in both providing a bit more body to the wine while cutting down on the sweet but leaving great flavor.
I made a Mango Citrus Synphony this way a few months ago and opened a couple bottles at a party this weekend. Got Rave reviews all around. It may just be my formula for great sucess with the IM kits.
What is it about just not being able to create a batch of "low test" wine....?

Cheers!Edited by: Thumper

Northern Winos said:
Rube....I was wondering what your Snow Man was doing.....
smiley9.gif

It took a wrong turn and ended up down here in AZ. It's melting away and evertime he takes a step his pants fall down
smiley3.gif

thanks Rube for the input on the wine and more importantly, for the clarification. I thought someone was kicking the poor snowman where it hurts!

I have made the Blackberry Merlot (Orchard Breezin) and I thought it was very good. I would like to make another onebut I would like to up the ABV so would I just add about 4 lb's of sugar. Do I need to add any thing else??

Cyndy

That is all you would need. You could also add a bit of yeast nutrient to help it finish out good and clean (no off smells that could develop if the yeast wasn't strong enough). Just keep in mind that the higher alcohol will change the flavor profile a bit, but after you drink a glass or two you won't notice anyways.

Appleman, that is so true.. after a glass or two you don't really notice now bad it is unless it's that mead that I just bought.
smiley17.gif

At what stage do you add the yeast nutrient?

I started my Blackberry Merlot yesterday and just now I realized that I meant to add 4lbs of sugar but I only added 4 cups. My SG was 1.072, temp 72. It is still not fermenting. My airlock has no activity. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I should do? Do I need to add more sugar or yeast or just leave it alone. What I was trying to do was to increase the ABV. Would like at least a 10 ABV. My last one was 7.4 ABV.

Cyndy

Adding more sugar now should not be a problem. As for the yeast give them some time. Sometimes they are a little slow getting started.
VPC

Sadie said:
Appleman, that is so true.. after a glass or two you don't really notice now bad it is unless it's that mead that I just bought.
smiley17.gif

At what stage do you add the yeast nutrient?

You can add the bit extra yeast nutrient at the first racking from the primary bucket to the carboy.

Also like vcasey says, you can add the extra sugar in a simple syrup now. It should kick off fermenting any time now.

Latest posts

Back