WineXpert Island mist blackberry cab

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlietuna

Reaction score
I made a batch today & after following insturctions to the word EXCEPT for filling it with water to just under the 23 liter mark instead of at the mark.. I was hoping for high end on the SG. Tested SG & it was not at the high end as I had hoped, it was 1.040 (range 1.048-1.052). Is this common?

I know I'm not suppose to, but I added 2 cups of sugar to get it to 1.050.

This is a low alcohol fruity wine that the non-wine drinkers that come over can drink & like. I've had many say "I don't like wine, but your's is great". Funny stuff.

Thanks,
Brian

I never use a hydrometer on IM kits. I add 5# of sugar and follow the instructions except I give more time and rackings with the appropriate amounts of so2.

The BB/Cab and BR/Merlot can handle the extra alcohol no problem.

That's good to know for the next one. I will definitley bump up the starting sg a bit.

Thanks,
Brian

I have made this kit twice and added sugar untell I got to 1.070 and it turned out perfect every time.

I just completed the Island Mist Peach\Apricot. If one added sugar, would you dissolve in water first and is there a measure to determine the alcohol increase? My SG was 1.050 and if I measured after the sugar was added it would increase say to 1.070, then you can calculate the alcohol level from that.

Last edited:
Added the fpac tonite & it was chunky. I Mixed the bag thourghly & even more so after I saw what it looked like. I believe the sugar was clumped. Felt like pebbles in the bag. I added it & stirred it for a long time.

It's it ok? Or is it a "time will tell"?

Brian

I put the bags in a sink of hot water to get them disolved.

You should be OK with a LOT of stirring.

What temp is your wine? Do you have a way of warming it up? It might help to warm it up a bit; 70-75 or so. This will also help with degassing.

I have made a few Mist kits myself. I was wondering if you have the drill mounted degassing tool? it makes it a lot easier. Let us know how the kit tastes it is one we were considering making.

Dave

the wine is now ~ 73, which is about what its been in my basement this fall. I think it mixed in well. & yes I do have a drill mounted stirrer. I stirred for a long time that night, but next time, I will definately warm it up in a bowl of hot water in the sink before adding.

Thanks,
Brian

I finished an island Mist Blackberry Merlot following the directions and it is fine but I would like to add a little more punch to it on the alcohol side. I read here and other forums that I could add from 3- 5.4#’s of sugar to increase the SG. My wine shop dealer mentioned to use fruit juice instead of the sugar. I have a box of Island Mist Cranberry Malbec that I want to start this weekend and have it ready for Christmas. Should I go with sugar—how much?--- or cranberry juice – how much? Also do I add the sugar/juice before the water and then bring up to the 6 gal mark? Last question – How long do I ferment and do I need to add additional yeast?
Will keep you posted.

BTW – I’m a newbie this being my second kit.

Hey wino I am not sure if you got an answer or not but if you are looking to bump up the alc% then I would use sugar and not cranberry juice unless it is very sweet. Because of the tartness and the acidness of cranberry you might not get the desired effect.. If you were making a grape wine and were adding grape juice that would be different because of the sugar content of the juice..

I never use a hydrometer on IM kits. I add 5# of sugar and follow the instructions except I give more time and rackings with the appropriate amounts of so2. I added it & stirred it for a long time.

Latest posts

Back