Blackberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't ferment with the container on a cement floor in the basement -- It will suck the heat out of a small batch. If you can lay hands on a pallet, it's cheap (discards are free) and already built. I admit I ferment larger batches of grape on the floor, but they produce enough heat that it's not been a problem, especially in October in NC. Small batches are on a countertop.

I hadn't considered nutrient, but after getting H2S in a batch last fall, I'm looking at that as far more important than I had.

Regarding the yeast, EC-1118 is advertised as producing an ABV up to 18%. However, it's possible a given batch could be underachievers. If adding nutrient and jacking the temperature don't kick the fermentation back into gear, you might try adding another EC-1118, rehydrating it before adding. A common practice is to get the yeast going, then add must to it, a cup or so at a time. Make sure the must is warm, at least 75 F. Once a quart or so is actively fermenting, add it to the main batch.

Don't ferment with the container on a cement floor in the basement -- It will suck the heat out of a small batch. If you can lay hands on a pallet, it's cheap (discards are free) and already built. I admit I ferment larger batches of grape on the floor, but they produce enough heat that it's not been a problem, especially in October in NC. Small batches are on a countertop.

I had a pallet so I moved the one I'm fermenting now on top of it with my rubber backed carpet square under the bucket. A least we should be able to rule that out if that is my issue.

One more technical possibility - how are you testing your SG? I was gifted a Tilt hydrometer awhile back - over time, it has proven to be reliable in the initial stages and almost useless when nearing the end of fermentation. I had several ferments that frustratingly 'stopped' early (around 1.010, if I remember correctly) only to discover that when I got out my trusty old-fashioned hydrometer, they were going on down as expected and finished dry.
hum, i reckon i am a hay seed, but i have never heard of a tilt hydrometer :oops:
Dawg

Latest posts

Back