Is this wine sediment or wine diamonds or both?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not on me........

I researched this quite a bit about a year ago when MM started adding it in to some of their kits. I will see if I can recreate my search that led to that.

Whats the point of using something that only provides 6 months protection, the wine is not even ready to drink in 6 months! :)

I have been with RJS as a supplier for 5 + years and I have allways been told 6 months. Do you have a link?

Here is a research paper I found without much work.

Methods for Tartrate Stabilization of Wine

This suggest that you should get ~12 months of stabilization at a cellar temp of 16C or 61F.

Metatartaric Acid

Metatartaric acid is produced by heating tartaric acid. Heat causes the transformation of tartaric acid to metatartaric acid. The changes include dehydration, esterification and polymerization. When added to the wine, metatartaric acid retards crystal growth and inhibits the precipitation of KHT. However, this inhibitory effect is not permanent. The property is lost with time as metatartaric acid rehydrates to tartaric acid. The change from metatartaric to tartaric acid is influenced by storage temperature. Rankine (1989) reported that in a wine stored at l0 C, the effectiveness of metatartaric acid lasted for 18 months; whereas at 25 C, it lasted for only a few months. This suggests that metatartaric acid could be used to achieve (short term) stability in wines destined for early consumption. The suggested rate for its use is 100 mg/L. It should be dissolved in cold water and added to the wine before polish filtration and bottling. Check current BATF regulations to make sure it is legal to add metatartaric acid.

I have been with RJS as a supplier for 5 + years and I have allways been told 6 months. Do you have a link?

Last edited:
All I know about the six month period is what I have been told when I ask some one at RJS about what this additive does. I have looked around and have found limited reading on the subject. I try very hard to give the best advice I can so if some one has information I do not I ask so as I can improve what my knowledge is. The better my knowledge the better wine I produce and the advice I can give.

I hope that's just a conservative estimate from RJS. Perhaps others who have some "real world" data will chime in with how much "protection" they got and at what type of storage conditions it was under.

I know folks (down south) store their wine at room temp and in the Summer that can be 78-82 degrees F. My cellar is 55 F for 6 months then about 65 F for the other 6 months of the year. I plan on bulk aging my RJS EP Sauv Blanc for 3 months then I will add the Crystal Block just before filtering and bottling. I love a good "experiment" when it comes to anything wine related!

I am now bummed to see that it says to add the meta acid BEFORE filtration. I asked this question before and was told okay to dump in with SO2 after filtration and before bottling. Now what drop out surprise will I get in my white....

You will be fine. The instructions state to add to 1 cup of wine stir until dissolved then add into a filtered wine 2-3 days prior to bottling. Filtering is optional.

Instructions for meta acid? Not in my RJS kit. It did not say anything beyond the option to drop it in prior to bottling. Maybe it is something new they add now. Regardless glad to hear it! I am at the end of a year long noob process working 4 batches of wine. Just trying to make something I can present to people as a gift and be a source of pride. Feel lately like I am fumbling the ball at the one yard line.

Last edited:
Thanks Mike. Appreciate the advice too. You've always been a guy I can go to for great advice! Have a good weekend.

Again, some agents are used in other countries but dissallowed in the US marketplace. This is from a lab:
"Metatartaric Acid is used for preventing tartrate precipitation, although it’s effect decreases at higher temperatures and is not permanent. Additions of metatartaric acid in the United States are not permitted."

Like Mike said, don't worry too much about it.

Latest posts

Back