Is This Clear Enough?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xandra

Reaction score
Probably a silly question, but... Wondering if this pineapple would be considered "clear?" Or if it should be clearer? Or if there's a more proper way to determine this besides holding it up to the monitor? Thanks!

Pineapple Clarity.jpg

Looks pretty clear to me. A better question is whether or not your whole carboy is that clear or if it starts dropping sediment as it cools.

The entire carboy was clear, with less than 1/4" of sediment on the bottom when I bottled this batch. Sadly only 3 1/2 bottles from the gallon due to my regular tasting experiments prior to bottling. The gallon took 2 pineapples, I'd like to do a 5-gallon batch, but that's 10 pineapples and quite a bit more TLC than the other wines I've made so far. Maybe later on, when I've got more days in a row to attend to the primary process. It's absolutely delicious with a splash of coconut liqueur and an ice cube.

Sounds like you made something you like then! How old is it and what is the final gravity? BTW, this is exactly why the smallest batch I will make is 5 gallons. Maybe if you find some pineapples on sell......

8/12/13 – 1.116 SG
9/8/13 - 0.994 SG

Calculator says this works out to be 16.28. Label says 17%, close enough for personal use. It's not as sweet as a dessert wine, but nowhere near dry, either.

No clue! Didn't think to take a reading before bottling. Oops ;)

Ahh, well its good for future reference. If you get bored or terribly curious you could always measure it before you drink your next bottle. Of course, this would only serve as a guideline for future batches since every batch needs to be balanced differently.

Back