Is this a bad thing ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zember311

Reaction score
Hey everyone ! back for a quick question.

I bottled 6 gallons of some home design wine about 3 weeks ago.

this batch was a 6 gallon batch, store bought concentrates " welchers " style., turned out tasting fantastic red grape and black cherry.

now I did the primary, racked, waited about 2 weeks, racked with a dash of kmeta. let it sit for about 3 more weeks, racked again. waited almost another 3 weeks.

there was NO sediment what so ever when i racked it with some kmeta and sorbate into a glass carboy so I could degass it.

All bottles cleaned, scrubed, rinsed and dried on a bottle tree. the entire kitchen was cleaned before I even started.

Now the first few bottles were opened within the first week of bottling and were clear and fantastic tasting to me.

tonight when i got home from work to grab a bottle to go, i noticed sediment in all the bottles i looked at, not the lees looking sediment but almost like little " blobs " ? about the size of a pin head.

I cleaned the corks with kmeta and rinsed before I corked, let the bottles sit upright for 4 days before putting them on their side and in a dark, cabinet in the kitchen. no sun light anywhere and an almost always constant 65 degrees, since I am never home much I keep the stat low.

is this something that a simple bottle filter when consuming will be alright ? just I spent so much time on this batch trying to make sure everything was on the up and up that to see this in the bottles kinda has me edgie.

or is this normal ?

No clue here.

thanks in advance everyone.

_ Kyle _

Sounds like it psooibly was still gassy and that was holding sediment in suspension. It may be worth unbottling it inot a carboy and using a fining agent on it and let it set a while longer and see what happens

Waldo said:
Sounds like it psooibly was still gassy and that was holding sediment in suspension. It may be worth unbottling it inot a carboy and using a fining agent on it and let it set a while longer and see what happens

Now that makes sense !

I know it wasn't a 100% degassed " In my opinion " no electric whipper yet. so it was the old whip with the hand till it falls off, then whip more and inbetween vaccum pump it ,

But as much as I thought I degassed, I am sure it wasn't Enough, enough.

I have a 6 batch of Pinot nior aging a bit, I bill be sure by then to have a 5 gallon glass and pour 1 3 gallon pinot at a time in it for room for degawssing and get that drill whip, and see. if that keeps that batch from doing this, then you hit it on the head and I thank you !

so if it's just a little suspension sediment, still worth drinking with a bottle filter for my personal consumption them
smiley4.gif

After all, I consume more dead yeast in a sandwhich
smiley36.gif

Sounds like you degassed it towards the end. You should do this right when it is done fermenting as gas in the wine suspends solids so if you degassed near the end then thats when it will start dropping more solids.

wade said:
Sounds like you degassed it towards the end. You should do this right when it is done fermenting as gas in the wine suspends solids so if you degassed near the end then thats when it will start dropping more solids.

Ok then, my mistake.

i never degassed until I was ready to bottle. I just assumed it was best not to degas as to keep as much CO2 in the wine as possible to deter any oxygen from spoiling the wine.

live and learn
smiley18.gif

I'll reprogram myself for future batches`
smiley9.gif

Keeping the wine topped up correctly and sulfited correctly will keep your wine from oxidizing.

Back