Is there a simple way to make labels more water-resistant?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some folks use a spray lacquer or something. Most just label last and shelf. After you start making a lot you don't even want to mess with labels…period.

Guys and Gals, I have an HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 printer, using HP ink and I use Avery labels of differing sizes. I find if I print labels either all black or in color and let them dry, submerging them in water does not cause the ink to run. I used to be concerned about the ink running but no longer.

Guys and Gals, I have an HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 printer, using HP ink and I use Avery labels of differing sizes. I find if I print labels either all black or in color and let them dry, submerging them in water does not cause the ink to run. I used to be concerned about the ink running but no longer.

I have an HP printer and use HP ink and my inked labels run all over the place if they get wet. I use Avery labels, too, but maybe you have a more waterproof version of label than mine. I need the type of label you use.

I do believe they sell a more waterproof label than what I use, though.

I know it is a pain because it is very hard to keep water totally away. Just one drop and the ink follows the water drop!!!

I know some people put a template over the label on the bottle and spray it will clear lacquer.

Robie, I use both Avery 8150 (1" x 2.625") and Avery 8164 (3.33" x 4"). I just did a little demo to make sure I was not off on this. The first picture shows a bottle with a label just applied, the second picture is the same bottle after running hot water directly on the label.

100_0375.jpg

100_0376.jpg

I'll check the part number on mine. Mine were ordered straight from Avery.

Robie, I found a "buy one, get one" at Office Max so I bought two of each size. I don't label 95% of my wine other than the small label identifier. If I am giving wine or taking it to a party, I will gen up a label for that bottle.

I have a laser jet printer and higher quality paper and don't have any issues with ink running.

I use Avery 5163 or 8163 with a Kodak ink jet. A light spray application of a Matte Finish from an Artsie/Craftie store gives adequate protection if you are experiencing the runs. :>)

One more thing. Spray the entire sheet FIRST, then peel the individual labels off to apply to the bottles.

Let's just say that my home printer ink runs but that if I print them at work on the big laser jet, not only does it look better, but it doesn't run.

I do sometimes make up custom labels for a friend at home and then use matte spray designed to make charcoal drawings not smudge. Haven't tried hairspray on labels but back in studio class we did use it a as a substitue for matte.

Latest posts

Back