DIY Labels, not computer generated?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CortneyD

Reaction score
Is anyone doing DIY labels without a computer and printer? I'd love to see examples!
I've started doing mine this way as a) a "artistic" outlet and b) I get lost in rabbit holes of graphics and fonts and this prevents all that wasted time of making 14 different iterations of one label.
I had the "Dean Family Winery: " (LOL) stamp made up on Etsy ($24) and Avery #15264 (3.3"x4") labels that aren't water resistant. Then I've just used watercolors to make the colorful "wash" that matches the wine/theme and an XL Sharpie to write the variety. I have a small sticker on the back with the made on date, the bottled date, and the "Drink By" date range if applicable.
I haven't decided its super necessary for us (right now) to add the ABV and other info, but there's room...
IMG_3887.JPG I

I like this idea, I too like to dabble with art work from time to time, I have been trying to find an inexpensive label/Sticker that I can use to be creative with. I've made a few on avery that I liked, there are plenty of really great sites to design your own but the price isnt good per label considering I only make 25 to 50 bottle batches and want something different for each batch.

That was part of my concern with having a whole bunch printed out a) cost and b) wanting something different for each batch (plus knowing some batches might only ever be 5 bottles).
I got these at WalMart/Staples/Amazon and since they are paper, the watercolors work really nicely. I think they come out to something like $0.10 per label plus the one time cost of the stamp. If you do some like this I'd love to see the results!

I love the handmade labels!!
I admire (and am jealous of) anyone that can do that. I'm in an international database that prohibits me from buying art supplies anywhere in the world. And rightly so.
I avoid Photoshop. Too many features, too easy to waste a lot of time.
Avery Design and Print has just enough features where I can knock something out in 2 minutes.
Yes, I take pictures of cats.

Screenshot (19).jpg

I love the handmade labels!!
I admire (and am jealous of) anyone that can do that. I'm in an international database that prohibits me from buying art supplies anywhere in the world. And rightly so.
I avoid Photoshop. Too many features, too easy to waste a lot of time.
Avery Design and Print has just enough features where I can knock something out in 2 minutes.
Yes, I take pictures of cats.

View attachment 84596
Cats on wine labels is always the right answer!

Is anyone doing DIY labels without a computer and printer? I'd love to see examples!
I've started doing mine this way as a) a "artistic" outlet and b) I get lost in rabbit holes of graphics and fonts and this prevents all that wasted time of making 14 different iterations of one label.
I had the "Dean Family Winery: " (LOL) stamp made up on Etsy ($24) and Avery #15264 (3.3"x4") labels that aren't water resistant. Then I've just used watercolors to make the colorful "wash" that matches the wine/theme and an XL Sharpie to write the variety. I have a small sticker on the back with the made on date, the bottled date, and the "Drink By" date range if applicable.
I haven't decided its super necessary for us (right now) to add the ABV and other info, but there's room...
View attachment 84586 I
if you can do that with a sharpy , i think your labels are great,
very impressive to this old hillbilly
Dawg

View attachment 84586 I
Love the simplicity of your labels…

Hi CortneyD,

I think your labels look great! I think your use of watercolors with writing on top is a great idea.
Here is a photo of my labels. One is hand drawn, the other is created using powerpoint. Both use Avery labels. Keep it up!

View attachment 84611
I like these running vertically too! And you may have convinced me to ad ABV and location!

Back