Is my wine going bad?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Montresor

Junior
Reaction score
I am new to wine making, and started my first batch two days ago. It is a white grape cherry made from welches juice. I followed the recipe exactly. It told me not to put the campden tab in until the first racking. I assumed that since it was made from bottled juice instead of fresh it would be ok. Everything was cleaned properly. Now it smells of sour rotten fruit and yeast, and on top of the foam I saw what looked like a small amount sediment from the side on top of it. I can not find anything on this so is it ok, ruined, or should I put a campden tab in it or will that slow down the firmentation process.

It will be ok. I haven't been making wine long, only since last July. I started 2 kits and a beer kit all at the same time. I seriously thought I was going to have to go to a hotel but the smell went away and all was good.

Sometimes if it is yeast stress, whipping in additional yeast nutrient does the trick. Makes the yeast a little happier and results in better smelling yeast farts :)

Back