Is it typical for pee to slowly ferment?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abefroman

Reaction score
Is it typical for pee to slowly ferment? Its been going 2 days, SG is a 1.062, starting SG was 1.070.

I just have small bubbles, for the last 24 hours now, like smaller then what would be in coke.

And when I do wine, its more towards the line of light boiling water.

TIA

Did you use nutrient and or energizer? This Skeeter pee is a highly acidic must so slower then usual fermentations can easily be an issue. I havent made this pee as of yet so just going bywhat I know as far as chemistry of stuff like this. Im sure there have been many skeeter fermentations that went fine and ripped like any other wine fermentation but this stuff would be much more problematic.

Did you use nutrient and or energizer? This Skeeter pee is a highly acidic must so slower then usual fermentations can easily be an issue. I havent made this pee as of yet so just going bywhat I know as far as chemistry of stuff like this. Im sure there have been many skeeter fermentations that went fine and ripped like any other wine fermentation but this stuff would be much more problematic.

Yep, I added the first half of it in, waiting until 1.05 to add the second half.

Temp is good, some yeasts are also known slow fermenters which is something I like to use for fruit wines so that they dont burn off all the fruity esthers. One of these slow fermenters is Red Star Cotes Des Blanc.

Temp is good, some yeasts are also known slow fermenters which is something I like to use for fruit wines so that they dont burn off all the fruity esthers. One of these slow fermenters is Red Star Cotes Des Blanc.

Cool!

Its a slurry left over from a batch made with EC-1118

It can usually take a few days for a fermentation to get going good.

Much of it will depend on the volume and condition of the slurry. I've had batches that took off with a vengance within hours and finished fermenting in 5 days. If your slurry was from a higher alcohol wine, or had started going into hibernation, it could take them a while to get with the program.

Much of it will depend on the volume and condition of the slurry. I've had batches that took off with a vengance within hours and finished fermenting in 5 days. If your slurry was from a higher alcohol wine, or had started going into hibernation, it could take them a while to get with the program.

I had it in the fridge so it was probably hibernating.

This is odd, now the bubbles have stopped and I've been at 1.062 for 24 hours.

:a1:a1

well it's warm enough, and the SG is too high for the second dose of energizer and nutrient.
Obviously it had started to ferment based on your earlier post, did you do or add anything that may have affected the active fermentation? if not I would just be patient, pee can be slow going.

well it's warm enough, and the SG is too high for the second dose of energizer and nutrient.
Obviously it had started to ferment based on your earlier post, did you do or add anything that may have affected the active fermentation? if not I would just be patient, pee can be slow going.

Nope, I just stirred and whisked in 02

I would give it another 48 to 72 hours before jumping to any conclusions.

Back