Is it typical for pee to slowly ferment?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would give it another 48 to 72 hours before jumping to any conclusions.

Thanks!

Any idea how long I have before it oxidizes? Or is oxidation mainly a problem after it has turned to alcohol?

The pee I have going now seemed to stall at 1.055 and the temp was 72. I added the next dose of nutrient and energizer and last bottle of lemon in and wrapped a towel around the primary with the brew belt on. My house stays too cool for the belt to bring it up by itself. The temp rose to 78-80 and ferment took off like crazy. I am close to done now 1.01. I would try to raise your temp higher. I had used a fresh 1118 for this.

The pee I have going now seemed to stall at 1.055 and the temp was 72. I added the next dose of nutrient and energizer and last bottle of lemon in and wrapped a towel around the primary with the brew belt on. My house stays too cool for the belt to bring it up by itself. The temp rose to 78-80 and ferment took off like crazy. I am close to done now 1.01. I would try to raise your temp higher. I had used a fresh 1118 for this.

Thanks, will try that.

My 3rd SP batch was also slow to ferment, others perfect. So I thought my slurry might have been weak. I used ec1118 and made a yeast starter, then added 2 cups of the pee to it every 4-6 hrs. When I had a gal. of Pee fermenting well I poured it back into the main batch. Slurry was strawberry wine with ec1118 so I didn't think there would be any problems. It worked like a charm. Roy

My 3rd SP batch was also slow to ferment, others perfect. So I thought my slurry might have been weak. I used ec1118 and made a yeast starter, then added 2 cups of the pee to it every 4-6 hrs. When I had a gal. of Pee fermenting well I poured it back into the main batch. Slurry was strawberry wine with ec1118 so I didn't think there would be any problems. It worked like a charm. Roy

Thanks! I think I'll start that now, just in case mine doesn't start up again.

Latest posts

Back