Is it supposed to look like this?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhawk

Reaction score
I rack the Niagara tonight from the primary. Is it supposed to look like this. It just doesn't look right.
20071008_202311_Niagara_Wine_10.jpg

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a grey wine before. Yes, the wine is supposed to be cloudy like that at this stage, but I'm not sure your camera got the color right. Is it really grey? It should be more on the green/yellow side.

Yes it is a grayish in color. And yes the camera was not set on black and white mode.
Edited by: jhawk

Did you end up stirring up the lees before transferring? Did you add Bentonite in the primary? It looks like it had a lot of Bentonite mixed in and stirred up. Hopefully it settles out fine and the color clears. Good luck.

That was my first thought when I saw the photo. It looks like there's a lot of bentonite in the must. If that's the case, it should fall out and turn clear.

Sorry about the delay on getting back to everyones questions. I proposed over the weekend and she already has me looking at where we are going to have our reception at.

Here is what I have for the recipe:

4 gal of fresh Niagara juice
1/2 gal of water
5.5 lbs of sugar
4 tsp yeast nutrient
2 tsp grape tannin
2 tsp pectic enzyme
1/2 tsp k-meta 24 hrs before yeast was pitched
Starting SG 1.08
Acid test .70
Red Star Cotes Blancs yeast

I did not put Bentonite in the recipe and the last time i stirred the primary was the day before.

I did use a cast iron press to get the juices out

Here is a picture from tonight. It is clearing and has a greenish color to it. It is settling out.
20071011_192540_Wine.jpg

Edited by: jhawk

That was pretty wild looking.It sure looked like bentonite.I think the green color is a good sign.
lockdude

Thanks everyone. So does the recipe look in line, anything sticking out that does look right. Besides the color. I will take another picture and post it later. It is looking greener and clearer every day. Lots of sediment on the bottom of the carboy.

9 days later and this is what it looks like. Clearing and settling. this weekend I will get th SG and sample taste. Looks alot better then at the beginning. I just don't understand were the gra
20071017_202921_Wine_10-17-2007.jpg
y color came from.

Must have been the yeast in suspension. What yeast did you use on this batch?

Latest posts

Back