Is it safe to use / consume?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB

Reaction score
Okay. This maybe the dumbest question I’ve asked yet but I’ve just got to ask it. I have pulverized muscadines through a blender, poured them into a primary fermenter and let them ferment to dry. I am now going to rack all the wine into my secondary, straining and pressing the skins /pulp to remove all the liquid I can. Now the question: What to do with the left over skins, seeds and pulp? Can it be used in pies and jellies? If so, how (or should I worry about it) would I get the alcohol out of it?
I’m paying good money for supplements made by the muscadine grape seeds and skins. Can I somehow dehydrate this and make a power and safely ingest it? I really don’t want to throw it out if it can be used. Especially if I can eat it! Seems to my little pea brain that this would still contain a lot of the helpful benefits the muscadine has to offer. Does the left over yeast in this cause concerns? Is there someway I can process this and make it something useable? Is this a bad idea? Thoughts / Suggestions / warnings please.

... I have pulverized muscadines through a blender... Now the question: What to do with the left over skins, seeds and pulp? Can it be used in pies and jellies? If so, how (or should I worry about it) would I get the alcohol out of it?...

I wouldn't worry about any carryover alcohol but there are several concerns:
Did you "pulverize" the seeds? If so, might be a problem.
Yeast residue probably will add some off taste.
After fermentation, I doubt that the pulp would have much taste or value; however, best advice is to give it a try and see for yourself.

just some thoughts...
if u cook it into jelly or anything cooked for that matter, the temps will evaporate the alcohol.
not sure about the supplements...

Agree w/ above @ seeds.
There will be no sugars left in the pulp to make jams.. etc I would toss it

I know a few people who use the fruit to make breads and muffins. I am concerned about the way you processed your grapes as if it split to many seeds you will have a bad astringent tannin taste in your wine.

Disclaimer: No seeds were hurt while making this movie....errr wine.

Actually, the seeds bounce while moving in the blender and do not burst open. They are all intact and floating on the top. I tried a small amount prior to committing with a large batch and found no offensive taste from the seeds. Course, being a country boy from North Carolina, I'm very accustom to eating the entire grape - seeds and all right off the vine. Call me a red neck but I don't mind the taste of these things and find them very pleasant. Given the health benefits of the muscadine grape, it's best not to waste it.

So far, the only real objection (since I've addressed the seed concern I hope) to using this for something else is the lack of taste / sugar left over. I haven't seen anything that implies it would be unsanitary or unsafe to consume. I think I might have to try making some fruit leather or powder supplements or something. Ya'll know how crazy I am. I was hoping someone would talk me out of it but it don't seem to be going that way.

David

I tend to put the skins in my garden to compost. Tomatos love them.

Otherwise, by the time i am finished pressing my juice, the grapes have given their all.

Latest posts

Back