Is it really necessary???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eduk8or

Reaction score
Okay, I am ready to start making my own wine. but, looking at the beginners equipment kit, i was wondering if it is really necessary to buy Everything that comes with the kit. Can anyone tell me exactly what i need, as far as equipment to start making my first batch of wine. And are there items that i do not need or might already have that I can use.

Plus, I am not wanting to make 30 bottles at a time, just a few. so what sized of items to i need.

I will be making wine from scratch, not kits
Thanks!!!!
smiley2.gif
Edited by: eduk8or

Well, George has like 20 different beginners kits. Looking at his most basic kit, you could get by with that and probably even less equipment but you risk less than satisfactory results from the wines. You "could" look for a food grade bucket that is large enough like at a bakery. You don't need a spigot on the bucket, you don't really even need a lid as you "could" cover it with cheese cloth and a rubber band. You "could" get by without a racking cane and just use a piece of hose to siphon the wine to a carboy. You "could" get by with out a carboy and just buy 6 one gallon jugs of table wine, drink the wine and save the gallon jugs for carboys. You "could" get by without a hydrometer if making kit wines and just add a couple days to each step as most kits meet the target SG stated in the step if the fermenting temps are in the specified range. You "could get by without fancy sanitizers and use bleach to sanitize. You "could get by without a bottle filler and just use your siphon hose to fill bottles. You "could" get by without a corker and use stopper bottles or champagne stoppers.

So yeah, you could make wine without any of the stuff supplied in a beginners kit. You risk making a sub par product. You risk contamination of the wine. You risk loosing the money you put out on a kit. You risk added work and frustration. You don't need the "Deluxe" kit if thats what you are getting at. It just makes things more convenient and lowers the risk of ruining your wine. George's Basic Beginners Kit and a corker would get you started on a budget.

I will tell you this though, if you like making wine and get hooked like most of us, you WILL end up buying all of the stuff in the Premiere kits plus some. I started with George's Premiere kit of the time when I started. I use every single piece of equipment in it except the blast washer you can hook up to a spigot to blast wash carboy's and bottles. The only reason I do not use it is I have very good water pressure and the flex hose sprayer on my kitchen faucet works as good. I have bought quite a few other items on top of the premiere kit as my winemaking skills grew and my desire to experiment has grew.

All I can offer in advice if cost is the issue is to either plan and save for what you want or start with a lower level package and plan and save to add to it. Expect extra work to make the wine which could be fun so that is not really an issue. Expect things to go wrong every now and then and messes to occur such as bottling with just a siphon hose. Expect the increase chance for contamination to the wine such as germs from sucking on a siphon hose, using a makeshift airlockand so on.

One last thing I could add is see if you have any friends that might want to make wine as well. Pool your resources and make wine together and share the benefits and results. It could cut down the cash outlay upfront. If you are a regular wine drinker though, the cost of a starter package is quickly recovered if you buy lots of wine as the end cost of a bottle of kit wine is less than buying at a package store or grocery. And remember, the more kits you make, the more savings you gain.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

eduk8or said:
i will be making wine from scratch

Well, that makes my long drawn out post I was typing while these two few word posts were postedworthless! LOL

What size batches? I would recommend gallon batches. You get 4-6 bottles a batch.You need a primary big enough for liquid quantities you desire plus the fruit or what ever. Get these at a local bakery for like a dollar. Make sure they are food grade.You need a carboy the size you desire. Gallon jugs from table wines or apple cider. NOT VINEGAR.You need tubing to siphon. You will need a hydrometer, sanitizer (sodium meta bisulphate works great and is cheap), An acid test kit would be nice. Various chemicals (such as sorbate, acid blend, yeast nutrient, yeasts, etc.)an airlock, drilled carboy bung for airlock, something to cork your bottles with. Strainer bags for your fruits (panty hose work), a thermometer possibly. This is about the minimum I can think of. I am sure others will add to it.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif
Edited by: smurfe

I am a newbie also. I make small batches using one gallon jugs. Here is my advice....Buy the best beginners package that you can afford! If you can not afford even that then be prepared to do a lot of reading and take notes(make a list). If I had gotten a package to start with I really think I would have spent less. I have had to order supplies(no local brew store) 4 times already, thats shipping costs X 4. I have not had to buy my jugs so I have been lucky there but everything else i had had to buy,siphon hose,yeasts(do your research!)bungs(make sure you know the correct size!)airlocks,sanitizer,nutrients,acids,cleaners,fermenters etc. You dont need much to make a small batch but if you even thing you might want to make a second then I really thing the beginners packages are a good buy. Welcome and good luck :)
Anne

Get the 'WINEMAKERS RECIPE HANDBOOK...it's a very small little booklet with many recipes for one gallon batches....A good starter book....Also...THE JOY OF HOME WINEMAKING, but Terry Garey...Lots of good ideas for many kinds of wines.
You can pick these books up used from Amazon.com. or get them from Fine Vine Wines Web Site....

A gallon jug and an airlock. After you try the one below, buy a wine equipment kit and get going.

1 gallon batch
3 1/2 lbs Clover or your choice honey or blend (will finish sweet)
1 Large orange (later cut in eights or smaller rind and all)
1 small handful of raisins (25 if you count but more or less ok)
1 stick of cinnamon
1 whole clove ( or 2 if you like - these are potent critters)
optional (a pinch of nutmeg and allspice )( very small )
1 teaspoon of Fleishmann’s bread yeast ( now don't get holy on me--- after all this is an ancient mead and that's all we had back then)
Balance water to one gallon

Here is a link to the process:
http://www.winepress.us/forums/index.php?showtopic=6114

Latest posts

Back