Is Cab Franc much different from Cab Sav?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek

Still lost.....
Reaction score
My supplier just informed me that my chilean stuff came in except for the Cab Sav grapes, everything else is in...:m

So the Cab Sav grapes would be in around the 12th...which will delay my start schedule.
So before I ask them if they can switch, wondering if I get Cab Franc grapes instead of Cab Sav.
I will be making a blend of Cab Sab and Merlot, 2 "high quality" juice buckets (Fresco), one Cab and one Merlot.....and 3 lugs of grapes, 2 cab sav and 1 Merlot.

Would it make much of a difference?

Yes, quite a bit different taste wise. Its a good blending varietal but tough to make a good one all by itself. Can also be prone to herbaceous off flavors if its not picked fully ripe. I would wait on the Cab Sauv even if it means you have to do some things twice.

I am planing (yet not final decision made) to ferment altogether in a 20 gallon brute from HD.
I haven't decided whether use painters bags to put the fresh grapes in or just dump them in with the juice....

BTW - this Fresco juice comes pre-inoculated.....so am wondering if more yeast would be needed for the fresh grapes in the mix.

Yes, quite a bit different taste wise. Its a good blending varietal but tough to make a good one all by itself. Can also be prone to herbaceous off flavors if its not picked fully ripe. I would wait on the Cab Sauv even if it means you have to do some things twice.

I disagree that Cabernet Franc is 'tough' to make good all by itself. Yes, there is a slightly higher potential for the green/herbaceousness you refer to but a good grower knows how to prevent this. If you do detect a bit of the green some french oak dust in the fermenter helps tremendously

Cabernet Franc and Sauvignon Blanc were grafted together way back when to create Cabernet Sauvignon so, yes, they are different.

You are free to disagree all you want. My first hand experience with it is from California, 2011. The coolest vintage in the record books. I tried every trick in the book and could not get rid of the lovely bell pepper aroma. I got it down to a sorta reasonable amount and then blended the aroma away in about 7 different wines.

Cab Franc is quite popular here in the Sierra Foothills in California. It makes an outstanding wine by itself and many wineries feature it. It's a bit lighter than cab sav but very expressive. I'm making a 60 g barrel of it right now and 7 months in the flavors and smells are fantastic,

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I've read that Cab Franc has the potential for more herbaceous flavors (though I've read this is often due to overcropping) but it flourishes in some regions and produces excellent varietal wines. Some have called Cab Franc "Colorado's Cabernet" (though we produce excellent varietal Cab Sauvignons as well as Cab Francs). It is generally less "bold" (less tannic, slightly less acidic) than Cab Sauvignons and has aromas/flavors described as cassis, raspberry, bell pepper, tobacco, pepper and violets.

I'm a fan of Colorado Cab Francs, though its no replacement for its big brother. I still intend to try a Chinon one of these days.

I think "less bold" was the best description for the difference. the cab sauv I think is generally the better tasting but it depends on the region. I make quite a few trips in to the Niagara region and I like the cab franc up there better than anything else they produce

I realize it is too late for this input but I would had ran all my Merlot through fermentation. Then told them to hold the bucket of Cab juice until the grapes came in.... Even if they had to freeze it. The ran the Cab thru fermentation.... After both went thru the primary I would then do a total mix. I am fermenting my Merlot and Cab separately now by choice and then will mix at the press.....

Latest posts

Back