Is adding sulfites or pasterizing necessary?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ed71

Reaction score
Just wondering if I should actually use these methods. Why couldnt I simply let the yeast gobble up all the sugar till SP is bout 1.00?

Ed

Because sulfites dont stop fermentation. They just help prevent oxidation and infection. Sorbate is used once a wine has been cleared and determined to be stable to prevent renewed fermentation.

In wine world, pasteurization is a no no since the heat can damage the wine.

However, if you want your wine to be dry you do not need to use sorbate, but you should still use sulfites to ensure the wine does not spoil.

In short, no, the use of k-meta is not necessary.

It is no more needed than needing to wear clothes while you fry bacon, or
even better, it is no more needed than locked doors in a bank.

The answer is NO, but you do run the risk of getting robbed or feeling a lot of pain.

K-meta protects the wine against bacteria and also helps to prevent oxidation. Without k-meta, you put your wine at risk. This is something that I would advise against.

Thanks guys. I dont consider my dollar store juice wine to be "real wine" So Im not about to take a trip to the local winemaking store to buy sulfites and Im really low on cash. Just want to see how it tastes after about half a year to a year. (The stuff is real harsh..even though I have no problems drinking it)

Ed

Thanks guys. I dont consider my dollar store juice wine to be "real wine" So Im not about to take a trip to the local winemaking store to buy sulfites and Im really low on cash. Just want to see how it tastes after about half a year to a year. (The stuff is real harsh..even though I have no problems drinking it)

Ed

Suit yourself, obviously. At my LHBS, k-meta is only $1.99, and it is not unlikely that it would spell the difference between drinkable and undrinkable in a year's time.

I agree. It can definitely go bad in a year and a half with no sulfites. If it tasted good in a couple months you would likely be alright to drink it up before it goes bad, but that long is pushing it. I'm pretty sure you have more money in the juice than the cost of a small vial of k-meta.

In short, no, the use of k-meta is not necessary.

It is no more needed than needing to wear clothes while you fry bacon, or
even better, it is no more needed than locked doors in a bank.

The answer is NO, but you do run the risk of getting robbed or feeling a lot of pain.

K-meta protects the wine against bacteria and also helps to prevent oxidation. Without k-meta, you put your wine at risk. This is something that I would advise against.

Oh John what can I say, nothing! You just explained it in a way I never heard and I'm saving it so I can use it some time. It was perfect.

Well its not the price its the distance. Its bout 28 miles (to and back)to the store. (conserving on gas also). But hey, you guys are right I'll just go out and buy it and this time buy things I should have bought when I was there last.

Latest posts

Back