Intro and Holiday Greetings from Central Michigan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnmar

Reaction score
Howdy from Sanford, Mi. Just want to say thanks to all who make this
forum possible and keep it working so smoothly. Wonderful info that
I've found invaluable in our new hobby.

We live and work near Mineral Wells, Tx on the Brazos River. My wife is
from Michigan where we're up here visiting family, celebrating
Christmas, and spreading some Christmas Cheer from our first vintage. A
quick picture story will follow if I'm smart enuff to make it work.

Just before we left Texas we bottled our first batch of wine. Mustang
Grapes grow wild and abundant on the "los Brazos de Dios" River, so
named by early Spaniards. My wife thoroughly enjoys cooking,
baking, and in particular enjoys making jellies, jams, and preserves as the local fruits
ripen.

As a result of a lush bumper crop of Mustang grapes on the river I, at
the last minute, decided that if I was ever going to make wine, 2009 had
to be the year. The grapes were as pretty as I've ever seen them and at
their peak were almost sweet enough to eat...as opposed to punishing you for just biting into one in a normal year. We picked about 30 lbs more
than what she wanted for jelly and I started winging it on my own. I
had no idea what I was doing, and that hasn't changed a whole lot but
thanks to the wonderful world of the web I do have a little better
understanding and it's improving daily. Before leaving I started our
first "kit wine" and it's in the secondary doing it's thang while we
vacation in a very pretty and white, "Winter Wonderland".

I think the pictures pretty much tell the story from beginning to end.

Vine.jpg

Just some of the grapes in early Aug, 2009

DaddysHands.jpg

So unusual for us to see this many plump grapes in a cluster.

Grapes.jpg

One of the filled buckets of grapes, begging us to make the tastiest wine I could ever imagine being able to make.

GrapeCrushing.jpg

Even my feet wouldn't have stood up to this ACID test so I made a stomper on the spur of the moment.

Racktosecondary.jpg

Per an old recipe I located on Jack Keller's site, I racked to secondary after 5 days.

DrippingMust.jpg

Draining the last raw juice from the must...wish I had known what pectic enzyme was and had used it...lot's of juice left in the must even after dripping for 24 hours.

Secondary.jpg

Started with 8 gal, 1-5 gal and 1-3 gal. After first racking had 7 gal of heavenly smelling wine. A little acidic but very tasty even at that stage.

Sampletime.jpg

This was at racking time after K-meta and Sorbate. Yummy!

backtoprimary.jpg

15 Dec. Racking back to primary in preparation of bottling.

bottling.jpg

Bottling and corking went without a hitch.

labelcloseup.jpg

The label my lovely wife designed, printed, and applied.

finishedproduct.jpg

And here's the mostly finished product. 30 bottles and 10 1/2 bottles.

Welcome to the Forums Jerry! Glad you found us!
20101224_142128_kgo_057.gif

The grapes look pretty amazing for wild mustang grapes! Great job on the labels and bottles as well!
smiley32.gif

We have a few pro's hanging around these parts who can assist you at any turn. Don't hesitate to ask when in doubt!

Once again welcome to the FVW Forums!

Great job and welcome to the forum. You must have been lurking around for awhile to figure out if you want our attention post some pictures. We love pics. Now I have one suggestion. The picture with the glass on the metal object. Try to take it again without the car or corner of the house in it. I think it would make an awesome label for you in the future. It looks like you're working in a commercial establishment. Is that a restaurant? Once again welcome and Merry Christmas!

Welcome to the forum. Never seen Mustang grapes this nice. Great label by the way. Look forard to hearing more about this batch in the near future.

LOL...that metal object is a smoker and I took the picture with my phone. My wife is the one with the camera skills and she did take several that were more appropriately framed then cropped and massaged them to her liking and saved for future use.

I have the privilege of managing a conference and retreat center as well as the 350 acres that go along with it. It's not really a commercial establishment, per se, but it is a commercial kitchen. Of course one of the perks is I get to use the facilities anytime as long as it doesn't interfere with the groups who come to visit and I don't turn it into an all out winery. Needless to say it's a great place to work for those of us who have to work, a beautiful place, and the most wonderful people to work for and with.

You're right, I've really benefited from, and enjoyed the great wealth of knowledge and experience I've found here on the forum. I read in it daily. I didn't find George et al, until just before bottling. Him and the others there at the Wine Toy Store have been a big help and very willing. As I said I've already got one kit started and intend to keep keep a steady diet of those working. And I can't wait until this spring and summer to try my hand at more Mustangs as well as others fruits readily available.

Thanks for all the welcome's and nice comments.

Welcome to the forum!!!

I really look forward to hearing more from you.

Joel

Welcome to the obsession..... err hobby. Please keep us informed of your current kit as well....

I did neglect to mention that the kit we have started is a Cellar Craft California Reserve Blush Zinfandel. Of course with having zero experience in wine making, every experience is a new one. After handling, watching, sniffing, and caressing the Mustang daily for 4 1/2 months I suppose I thought all wine making would be close to the same. I was really surprised with the different aroma from the fermenting Zin. At first I thought something was wrong but I suppose the different grape with it being juice only, and different yeast would give a very different result. I used the natural/native yeast of the Mustangs without any sugar added to the initial primary fermentation, then added an equal part of water (4 gal) with 12 lbs sugar to make the initial 8 gal batch. For top off liquid I stole a couple of pints of the wine heated a bit to dissolve more sugar and added as necessary during the quite extended secondary fermentation...The place smelled like a cross between a bakery and a winery for well over 3 months. I don't have my notes handy but it was probably mid-November before it finally quit fermenting and began to clear just a little bit.

I did not filter or use any fining or other chemicals to settle or clarify. We did use great care to make sure everything was clean and sanitized that came into contact with the wine. I spoze I should say I did use the K-Meta and Sorbate at the recommended rate after the yeast had quit.

This wine is quite tasty, of course that would be expected from me I suppose. If finished on the sweet side but it's acidic enough that it needs the sweet for balance in my opinion. All we've shared it with has been very impressed and coming from some who are not by nature complimentary out of kindness, it's very reassuring and gratifying.

I'm amazed by what mother nature can do even when there's a whole lot of ignorance in the way.</span> I'll end this lengthy monologue by saying that if it improves with age, and I know it will, I didn't make nearly enough.</span>

Merry Christmas to all of you and wishing you and your families a wonderful, prosperous, and happy New Year!

</span>

gaudet said:
Welcome to the obsession..... err hobby. Please keep us informed of your current kit as well....

Gaudet has it right!

Welcome to the OBSESSION.

Once again welcome
smiley32.gif

Back