Inert Gas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sluff

Reaction score
I am looking at starting to use inert gas to help prevent oxidation. If you have any experience with this:
- when and where do you use it?
- has it been effective?
- what type of gas and equipment do you use (bottle gas, cans, regulator, food grade...)?
Thank you in advance for your input!

I recently bought a CO2 tank to use for the same purpose. I did a fair amount of reading and found it is important to know how and what you will use it for. I just read what salcoco posted. Good info! Here is what I found to be a useful article.

Attachments

• Using Inert Gases in Winemaking.pdf
    116.4 KB · Views: 23
Thank you! Great article. I am wondering what regulator and other equipment you are using - and where did you get it? Thanks again!

I went to a local beer brewer and wine supply store and bought a 10 pound tank filled with CO2. They also had regulators, hoses, etc. I went the cheaper route and bought a regulator on Amazon and had tubing and a blower at home. Works fine for me. You may need to call around in your area to see who can supply what you want ... CO2, Nitrogen, Argon.

All of my table wine gets kegged. I use argon, got the regulator on Amazon. Argon won't infuse into the wine like CO2 wants to. I usually have 2 kegs going at a time and I've seen no degradation in the flavor of the wine from 1st glass to last. I bought new 5gal cornys. I've been doing this for well over a year now. Just like everything else, it all has to be clean. When each keg empties it and the hoses, couplers ball locks, safety valves, etc are all broken down and cleaned. Kegs are only 5 gal so if you ferment more than that you'll need to split between kegs or bottle a few, for 6 gal that's 5 bottles.

Last edited:
Thanks! A few questions please: Do you purchase off the shelf argon at the local welding gas supply shop - or? Which regulator are you using - does Amazon still sell it? How do you know when you have introduced enough argon? Is there any other equipment needed?

I went to a local beer brewer and wine supply store and bought a 10 pound tank filled with CO2. They also had regulators, hoses, etc. I went the cheaper route and bought a regulator on Amazon and had tubing and a blower at home. Works fine for me. You may need to call around in your area to see who can supply what you want ... CO2, Nitrogen, Argon.
Thanks! Which regulator are you using? What is a blower? Thanks again!

Yeah, argon is argon. I have a std tank (apx 48" tall) you might be able to get a smaller one. Taprite regulator from Amazon, you have to watch which one you get, CO2 is a female connector on the regulator, non-CO2 is a male (screws into the tank). My kegs are equipped with safety valves so when I first fill & seal the keg I pop this valve a few times to let the argon flush out the air. hen I disconnect the gas line and wait awhile and then recheck that there is still pressure in the tank, if not I have a leak in one of the o-rings, probably the fill opening. I run about 8 - 10psi in the kegs, just flip the gas valve on the regulator and the pressure fills my carafe and back fills the keg with more argon. Regulator came with valve and hose to connect to a ball lock.

I use Private Preserve inert gas (Nitrogen/Argon). It comes in small cans (spray paint size). I use it to preserve the wine in bottles that we don’t finish, and also in the headspace of my 6 gallon carboys. Get from Amazon. Wouldn’t work well for those that are making really large amounts of wine, but for those of us making kits or small amounts from fresh grapes, works fine and is inexpensive.

I was once told by my welding gas supplier is the only difference between food grade or medical argon is those are in tanks that only had argon. If the tank had CO2 or another gas in does not fall in these categories. But I believe you are right argon is argon.

This will work on a CO2 tank. You will need a different regulator/connection for a different gas.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YV4TJMC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I used a air blower normally used to blow dust away with compressed air. I had an extra one in the garage and connected it with a hose clamp to my hose. This way I have the tank on the floor and I can control the gas on and off from the blower.
View attachment 70264
Great idea!

Did CO2 for both primary fermentation (food grade Brutes) and MLF (partially filled carboys) this year. It’s my first year ever making wine so don’t have a lot of experience. Small 5lb tank plus a regulator and some silicone. So far seems to work well. Can provide the links if you like. Covid made it a little difficult to get the gas. Some companies not doing refills/exchanges/fill ups due to “non contact” policies.

Did CO2 for both primary fermentation (food grade Brutes) and MLF (partially filled carboys) this year. It’s my first year ever making wine so don’t have a lot of experience. Small 5lb tank plus a regulator and some silicone. So far seems to work well. Can provide the links if you like. Covid made it a little difficult to get the gas. Some companies not doing refills/exchanges/fill ups due to “non contact” policies.
[/QUOTE

Thanks! Yes please - would love to see the links for the equipment that you use for this.

I think this is the tank. I bought mine from a local home brew supplier but it looks nearly identical

https://www.amazon.com/Tank-Aluminu...+Co2+Tank+for+Kegerator&qid=1610401515&sr=8-4
This is the regulator I ended up going with

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZZDP2X5?ref_=pe_386300_442746000_DDT_E_DDE_dt_1
Clear silicone tubing was from Home Depot. Can't remember the size ... I just took the regulator in the store and bought the size that fit.

FYI - I shopped around a bit including several gas suppliers and they were pretty expensive. Suprisingly, the best sources for CO2 refills here are gardening/hydroponics shops. Unfotunately they didn't have any 5lb tanks when I needed mine. So far I won't need to refill this one for quite a while based on the usage so far.

Good Luck!

Richard

Latest posts

Back