Increasing Alcohol

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dantrubak

Reaction score
I bought a wine kit and the target alcohol content is 8%. If I wanted to increase this, what would I have to do?

Thanks!

Take a hydrometer (SG) reading of the juice out of the box and record it. You will need to increase the SG using simple syrup (2 parts sugar to 1 part water) to a level that will result in the alcohol level you desire.

Last edited:
If the yeast you are using can go to 17% ABV, but you have enough sugar for only 8% ABV you simply add more sugar.

When you are on step 2 of the wine making kit (the racking/movement of the wine from the bucket to the carboy), then pour some sugar into the carboy and mix it around for a few seconds.

Dan, experience is the cruelest teacher because she gives you the test first and then she gives you the lesson.

Do not add sugar directly to the carboy. If you choose not to use simple syrup, take about a quart or so of the wine and heat it on the range just enough to dissolve the sugar. Then, let it cool before adding it back to the wine.

If your wine is supposed to produce an ABV of 8% the raw juice should have an SG of around 1.060 indicating that it contains about 1 pound 9 ounces of sugar per gallon. Because only the sugar is converted to alcohol, if you want a higher alcohol level, you have to increase the amount of sugar per gallon of juice. There are two ways to do this: add some type of sugar either directly or in simple syrup or add more fruit or fruit juice concentrate (which would contain the sugar) to increase the amount of sugar per gallon of juice.

In order to do this, you should know the starting SG. You should also have an idea of the alcohol level you desire and know what SG level will lead to that percent ABV. This information is determined by and contained on a hydrometer.

Good luck!

Last edited:
In this case, add the extra sugar up front before pitching the yeast. Never add sugar directly to the must. Always dissolve it completely in water or some must and stir it into the must really, really well.

Also, make sure the total volume of liquid you end up with in the fermenter bucket is not more than the 6 gallons called for in your instructions. If it is more, the wine will be much thinner.

Not sure if that's a difference for a kit; I've added sugar directly to must many times with fruit wine, the SG still rises and the yeast still eats it.

I agree on the carboy comment, though, this is always during primary for me. I've never added sugar after racking except to sweeten the wine. But then I rarely do a secondary fermentation, I usually ferment to dry in the bucket.

If you've already fermented, you can "cheat" by adding everclear to the wine, but it will dilute the flavor a bit (you COULD make an everclear f-pak, buy some grape concentrate that matches your wine, mix it with the everclear, and dump it in, however this will also sweeten your wine as wine concentrate has a lot of sugar).

Not sure if that's a difference for a kit; I've added sugar directly to must many times with fruit wine, the SG still rises and the yeast still eats it.

Unless your must is very warm at the time, it is very difficult to get the sugar fully dissolved by adding it directly to the must. It also is not practical to do so and expect to get a true beginning SG reading, which may or may not be important to everyone in all cases.

Some of the undissolved sugar can end up buried in the lees, depending on how well the wine is kept stirred.

What works for you is fine for you, we all have our own techniques. But it is just not a good practice for most, especially new wine makers. We get posts quite often, concerning sugar that was not properly dissolved, so starting SG could never be established. In some cases, too much sugar got added.

It is a standard recommendation on this forum to never add dry sugar directly to the must, whether kit, fresh, or frozen.

Agree with above and also agree that fermenting a 6 gallon kit in a carboy is probably going to make a mess. when you add sugar straight in to carboy , it is going to foam up big time and run all over the floor(EXPERIENCE TALKING). I add sugar all the time to active fermentation. But as a beginner I would *** a simple sugar to starting must(dissolved sugar and water at a 2 to 1 ratio). http://grapestompers.com/calculations.asp. I use this cal to figure out what starting SG you will need to start with to get target ABV. Remember this is not exact. You will be able to figure finish ABV when you get a final SG reading of the finished wine. Remember the directions will now vary in the kit since you have made changes. Stable SG for 3 or 4 days is finished, not time frame on wine kit direction

Latest posts

Back