Mosti Mondiale In Need of Advice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry1

Junior
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry. I don't know how to do that "Thread" thing that some of you have been asking people with Questions to do. I'm still leaning how to post. So what I did was cut and paste my 1st question.

13 days ago I started my Renaissance Unlimited Edition Wine Kit.
I
completed the First racking on day 5 when my reading was 1.018. The
bubbles going through the airlock have slowed down a great deal.
On
Day 10 (Saturday) I got nervous and took a reading. It was 0.996.
Occasionally, now and then an air bubble will go through the airlock.
Yesterday, Day 12, I took another reading. Again it was 0.996.

Does this sound normal? I've never done this before so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Today is Day 15 for me. I do occasionally see "dust size" bubbles come up to the edge of the wine. Also the air lock still bubbles now and then. I just took another reading and it was still at 0.996, the same as Day 10 and 12.
My directions said that fermentation is complete when the reading is .995 or less, and when no more bubbles go through the air lock. (around Day 20)

So far that is not the case. Like I said, this is my first experience with making wine so I have nothing to compare it to. That's why I'm taking a lot of notes of what I'm seeing.

Does anyone have any thoughts of how I'm doing?

Thanks again,
Larry

Let it go until day 20 if you're nervous about it, but it sounds to me like it's done. Wines don't always finish where the directions say they will. As long as you're in the neighborhood of the S.G. they state (and you're only off by one) for 2 consecutive days then it's most likely finished.

The wine at this point is saturated with CO2. That is why you have the "dust bubbles" and the occasional bubble in the airlock. Once you de-gas you'll find that there won't be any more bubbles.

You're doing great. I'd go ahead and wait until day 20 just to calm your nerves, but I doubt the situation will change because I think it's done and you can move on to the next step.

Good luck with it and keep us posted on your progress!! (with pics if possible
smiley1.gif
)

I would wait till day 20.I would not worry adout the .001 however I would still wait till day 20.

I agree with the last 2 posts. Check the temp thou you may be on the cooler side. At any rate, you are doing fine. Wait till day 20. You can't rush wine...

Patience

Patience

Patience

Larry I agree with all the above.

As far a s a thread goes. Let's say you have another question about this batch. Now we know something about it because you have told us about it already now. Next time you have a question, just go back to this post and reply to it here. That way when we see it listed again, we know you have another question with it. We can read through this post and get an idea of what you are making and previous method and problems. It makes it easier to respond.
As long as you check the active topics, you will see all these chaged posts since the last time you visited. If you need to find your post later, do a search on your name and you will see all your posts. Does this make any sense?

Hi,

Thanks for letting me know how to do this. I'm going to give it a try.

Larry

Larry said:
Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry. I don't know how to do that "Thread" thing that some of you have been asking people with Questions to do. I'm still leaning how to post. So what I did was cut and paste my 1st question.

I
On

Does this sound normal? I've never done this before so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Today is Day 15 for me. I do occasionally see "dust size" bubbles come up to the edge of the wine. Also the air lock still bubbles now and then. I just took another reading and it was still at 0.996, the same as Day 10 and 12.
My directions said that fermentation is complete when the reading is .995 or less, and when no more bubbles go through the air lock. (around Day 20)

So far that is not the case. Like I said, this is my first experience with making wine so I have nothing to compare it to. That's why I'm taking a lot of notes of what I'm seeing.

Thanks again,
Larry

Hi again,

Tomorrow will be Day 20 and the reading is still 0.996. The next step in my directions tells me to complete a second racking to a clean, sterile carboy. Then to put in the Potassium Metabisulfite and Potassium Sorbate. Then a 24 hour degassing. After that add the siligel and liquigel. Wait to Day 28 rack again to remove clear wine from sediment. Then they recommend a carboy resting time of 4-6 weeks prior to bottling.
Would this be the point to bulk age if I decide to?

It's different in George's video. He adds the potassium metabisulfite before he racks it into the clean carboy. Then he degasses in the clean carboy. Then he adds the siligel and liquigel. Let's it sit for a week. Then add the sorbate and that 1/4 tsp of of sulfite before bottling.
Is there a big difference?

Thanks,
Larry

He might be making another kit that requires all the sediment to stirred up and transferred over. Just follow the instructions and if you want to bulk age continue on after the 4-6 weeks. Just add 1/4 tsp of sulfite after every 3 months.

wade said:
He might be making another kit that requires all the sediment to stirred up and transferred over. Just follow the instructions and if you want to bulk age continue on after the 4-6 weeks. Just add 1/4 tsp of sulfite after every 3 months.

Thanks wade

wade said:

Each kit Mfg. has a little different directions. It is always adviseable to follow thosedirections. It never hurts to "bulk" age. Your wine will be clearer and better. For the new winemaker thats a tough call.
Remember thes 3 words in winemaking
Patience
Patience
Patience

tepe said:
wade said:

Each kit Mfg. has a little different directions. It is always adviseable to follow thosedirections. It never hurts to "bulk" age. Your wine will be clearer and better. For the new winemaker thats a tough call.</font>
Remember thes 3 words in winemaking</font>
Patience</font>
Patience</font>
Patience</font>

Thanks tepe

I'll try to remember those 3 words in winemaking, but it's hard. It's an exciting process. I wish I started sooner.

Being inherently a procrastinator has made me a better winemaker.
smiley36.gif

PeterZ said:
Being inherently a procrastinator has made me a better winemaker.
smiley36.gif

Then you fit right in with the rest of us
smiley36.gif

Larry said:
Larry said:
Hi Everyone,

I
On

Thanks again,
Larry

Hi again,

Tomorrow will be Day 20 and the reading is still 0.996. The next step in my directions tells me to complete a second racking to a clean, sterile carboy. Then to put in the Potassium Metabisulfite and Potassium Sorbate. Then a 24 hour degassing. After that add the siligel and liquigel. Wait to Day 28 rack again to remove clear wine from sediment. Then they recommend a carboy resting time of 4-6 weeks prior to bottling.
Would this be the point to bulk age if I decide to?

Thanks,
Larry

Hi everyone,

Day 20- I just completed my second racking to a clean carboy avoiding the sediment. I then stirred in the Metabisulfite and Potassium Sorbate. I then started the 24 hour degassing with the drill. My wine is low in the carboy (about 4 1/2 inches from the stopper) so tomorrow I'm going to buy those crystal marbles to bring the level up to about 2 inches from the airlock stopper. I'll put them in tomorrow night when the degassing is totally finished.

What do you think?

Larry

[/QUOTE]

Hi everyone,

Day 20- I just completed my second racking to a clean carboy avoiding the sediment. I then stirred in the Metabisulfite and Potassium Sorbate. I then started the 24 hour degassing with the drill. My wine is low in the carboy (about 4 1/2 inches from the stopper) so tomorrow I'm going to buy those crystal marbles to bring the level up to about 2 inches from the airlock stopper. I'll put them in tomorrow night when the degassing is totally finished.

What do you think?

Larry
[/QUOTE]

It's Day 28 for me. My directions tell me to rack the wine again to remove the clear wine from the sediment. (this will make the second time)

It also tells me to fully degas the wine. (this would make the second time for me because I degassed on Day 20)

It also recommends a carboy resting time of 4 to 6 weeks prior to bottling.

Would this be the right time to start bulk aging the wine?

Thanks,
Larry

The carboy resting time is the same thing as bulk aging. You probably don't have a lot of gas left after the first time, but it won't hurt to try to get rid of a bit more.

appleman said:
The carboy resting time is the same thing as bulk aging. You probably don't have a lot of gas left after the first time, but it won't hurt to try to get rid of a bit more.

Thanks, since I have you here I have another fast question. My basement runs about 52-55 degrees. Would this be a good place to age my wine?

Latest posts

Back