In defence of store bought juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
Lots of things go into a successful wine.

Lets not forget about Lons intro to al of us for Skeete Pee. Bottled Lemon Juice, sugar and yeast!!!

I am not going to bring up all these factors. Thats why we have this forum and everyones combined knowledge.

A decent wine can be made from store bought juice and frozen concentrates.

If it is 100% juice it is JUICE!!!!

These kit manufacturers have collected some outrageous juices, and you will see them as kits, frozen buckets, etc. You can't duplicate these.

Lets forget the marketing for a moment.

But!!, you can make some great wine using something simple as a "Welch's" frozen juice concentrate.

Many of the members on here made their first wines from these.:tz

Yeah, be careful not to use some of these juices have sorbate and other sulphites in them as a preservative. Watch out for these, especially sorbate. This is what is added to a wine before bottling to absolutely kill the fermentation(yeast) and keep it from blowing up.

Most of the frozen concentrates have already been pasturized. It doesn't mean dont sterilize everything, it just means they wont be subseptible to wild yeasts, and you may not need to use any additional sulfites.

Wild berries, fruits, flowers etc, will most certainly have a risk of wild yeasts affecting the fermentation. This is why it is important to use the addition if sulfites.

Wild yeasts have been fermenting these for thousands of years, but we now know how to control this, thats why there are so many yeast strains out there.

I wish some of you would help me continue this thread and explain further.

Some of the new wine makers in here may be intimidated thnking they need to buy all these expensive kits when they are first starting out.

Its not true or necessary.

Making wine from grapes is in a catagory all by itself.

There is also a catagory called "country" wines. These are everything else.

I just dont want to see any of the newbies getting discouaged.

Last edited:
From all of us Kit makers, Thanks and I agree.

There are certainly wine connoisseurs and I applaud their talent (to be able to distinguish different wines). For my basic tastes, I've been very happy with some of the kits others sneer at. Each to their own. If you like a wine you've made, then you've been successful whether it a top brand name or a supermarket kit.

Hi Can. I am not talking about kits at all.

I am just trying to point out to some of the new wine makers that a successful wine can INDEED be made with juice bought right off the shelf. at the supermarket.

It doesn't have to be a "franecello biringio cirtontella" kit.

A few cans of frozen concentrate, or even already mixed juice can build your confidence before you go on to the next "stage".

:b

(ps, I will never forget my brief time in Edmonton! As far as I am concerned this is a world class city! I hope to visit there again!)

Last edited:
A decent wine can be made from store bought juice and frozen concentrates.

If it is 100% juice it is JUICE!!!!

I agree 100%. One of my favorite wines to make and drink is old orchards cranberry concentrate. Very simple to make and it's an early drinker. :dg

I use the Old Orchard Brand of Apple Raspberry as a base for my Rose Hip flower wine.

Old Orchard is 100% juice.

I agree 100%. One of my favorite wines to make and drink is old orchards cranberry concentrate. Very simple to make and it's an early drinker. :dg

what yeast? I think I want to try that!:b

For skeeter pee I like Red Star Cuvee or Champagne, for the others I like to use Cotes de Blanc, also Red Star( Wades suggestion)!

Look around at what the others say for their yeast for the pee, I usually crank it up to about 15+% so the champagne or cuvee can get there.

These are what I use, but, are by no means the correct or prefered way by some of the others.

:pee

Yep, I can see the shocked look on your face in your Avatar photo!! LOL
:D

Latest posts

Back