I'm new -- and pretty confused

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lmcirig

Reaction score
Last night we went to a BBQ where the host had made his own wine. When I complimented him, he gave me this website to buy a kit & start making my own.

Now that I'm here and see all the options, I'm a little overwhelmed. I'm not sure where to begin. I see the beginner kit, but should I not go for one of the other kits with the extra supplies?

I'm also confused about how I choose a wine to start with
smiley9.gif

Can anyone reccomend this stuff for me? Thanks!!!!
smiley4.gif

Welcome to the forum Lmcirig. You can get plenty of help here from a lot of good people. In your case, I say the best place to start is give George, the owner, a call. He can give you some very sound advise on which kit will fit your needs best. He gives very personnal attention and very sound advise on the wine kits as he has personally tested most of them. He is careful to match your budget with the best that you can get. Once started, give us all the questions you want and you will be offered lots of free help to ensure the best wine possible is made .

Again welcome
smiley4.gif
Edited by: appleman

Welcome to the hobby, and the forum Lisa. Another good place to look would be your friend that hosted the BBQ, have him let you look and get a better understanding as to whats involved in the equipment and process. Start with a wine you like! Enjoy!

Welcome Lmcirig and appleman is right on...give George a call and he will give you all the help you need to get started and also let you know how to save some money on your first order.

Thanks everyone! I will give George a call then (when I'm not at work of course
smiley2.gif
)

I would ask the host of the BBQ to show me the equipment, but I hadn't thought of it. And they live over an hour away. I'll have to wait until next time.

Thanks again, hope to stick around. I hope thatI enjoy making the wine as much as you all seem to
smiley17.gif

Please do call. I will explain your options and help you get the right package for your tastes and your pocketbook.

Welcome to the forum Lisa. My recommendation, above all is to get a couple of good books on home wine making and devour them before you begin anything else. George has those too.
If you are a wine drinker then you know where your interest lies, if you are new to wine drinking, drop by a good wine store and pick out a bottle or two.

Welcome Lisa and youve come to the right place. Besides telling you
that everyone has given you sound advice I can say that the cheaoer red
wine kits do not compare with the more expensive kits, for example, you
are not going to get the quality out of a 7.5 liter wine kit as you
will with a 15 liter kit or all juice(23 liter kit. They all produce 6
gallons but the less water you have to add the better the end result.
The whites dont vary as much but you will get a better wine out of the
bigger kits. The best way to start in my opinion is to get a wine kit
somewhere in the mid to higher range or even a Island mist if you like
sweeter wines. These Island Mists are like a stronger wine cooler and
can be consumed immediately as the other kits really require some
aging. As for the equipment kit, Get what you can afford but do try to
get the most for your money as it will cost you more to purchase it
down the road with extra shipping costs and buying stuff seperate does
cost more. George will stear you in the right direction though. Dont be
afraid to ask ANY</font>

questions and remember the only dumb question is 1 that is not asked!

</font></font>

I strongly agree with Wade, buy the biggest package you can afford and then add some more to it. This hobby isaddictive.
smiley4.gif

Lisa,
George is the man and he will fix you up without destroying your bank account. (That is voluntary on your part...
smiley36.gif
)
Ramrod! Nice to see you again!

Yup, George got me started
smiley4.gif
I started my first kit on Saturday &amp; it's smelling quite nice.

This site has really helped me a lot- I've been reading the tutorials &amp; other posts. Thanks much for the help, I wish I could offer some back.

Oh- I do have one question, although maybe I should post it elsewhere... I was looking ahead at the instructions on my kit. (Winexpert Pinot Noir) On the racking stage, you're supposed to transfer the wine from the carboy into another carboy... I only have one. I plan on buying another, but it's expensive with the shipping (I live in NY)

So is it okay if I rack to the primary bucket &amp; then rack again to the carboy, or should I just explain to the husband that I need the second carboy immediately? Would there be a difference in the outcome?

Yes you can indeed rack to bucket them back to carboy, but don't tell husband, get another carboy out of him
smiley36.gif
I'm assuming this is the second racking your referring to, the object is to get the must off the lees, so it will in all probability be better, not worse.Edited by: JWMINNESOTA

JWMINNESOTA said:
Yes you can indeed rack to bucket them back to carboy, but don't tell husband, get another carboy out of him
smiley36.gif

I bought the kit as my "birthday gift" from my husband, and it just keeps on giving.
smiley36.gif

At that stage it would be OK to rack to the bucket and then back. It might even help with degassing. Some folks like to degas in the bucket, but if you use a drill mounted stirrer, be careful not to gouge the plastic bucket. Sometimes an additional racking is helpful before bottling for bulk aging in which case the xtra carboy would be helpful. I would just get an additional carboy - you will need one soon enough when you start a second batch. I am sure George would understand if you bought thecarboy at your local store to save the shipping. We would all like to buy everything from him, but he will be happy with you letting him provide you with most of your needs.

Honestly, I don't know that there is a local store
smiley18.gif
, I've asked around. It's not crazy expensive, but the shipping is almost as much as the carboy itself. For another $5 I could get 2!
I'll keep an eye out though- thanks!

Lisa,,

Another option is getting a 5-gal water bottle (Music Mountain). One of the blue ones. They cost a few dollars for deposit &amp; something for the water in Lowe's or Home Depot &amp; just keep the bottle &amp; use the water. The blue bottles make good carboys.

I would disagree with and so would others Im sure. There are plastic
carboys which are designed specifically for this and they are a much
better grade of plastic which are not permiable at all and will not
give off plastic taste. Some may say that does not happen but my friend
had a batch in one and he and I both tasted it not to mention, have you
ever tried moving 6 gallons of liquid in a plastic that is that
pliable? Just trying to pick it up will blow your wine right through
the airlock.

Thanks for the tip.
smiley20.gif
I think I'll be going with glass anyway. Not that I know if there's a difference!

Wade,

Have you never used the Better Bottles George sells? The ones I'm talking about are sturdier than they are &amp; they are food grade &amp; just as impermeable. I have no problems moving the Better Bottle or these.Edited by: bj4271

Latest posts

Back