I'm here from SW Ohio!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redtrk

Winemaking dysfunctional
Reaction score
Hi all! New here from Liberty Twp., Ohio and in hopes to pick up some pointers in making wine.
New to this forum but not to forums. I'm a moderator on rideohio and my favorite pastime is riding my GL-1800 Goldwing. The Mrs and I have found that we can combine our two passions of riding and wine into one as we ride to various vineyards on the bike.
I look forward to your suggestions and comments.

Welcome to the family ask away there are some very good wine makers here that can answer your questions have you made any wine to date or what are you making now

The Mrs and I have found that we can combine our two passions of riding and wine into one as we ride to various vineyards on the bike.

very smart thinking!
my hubby likes to golf and fish...i'll have to do some research, lol...
welcome to the forum!

Thanks all! :hug Actually not a thing is fermenting yet. I'll be picking up supplies soon to start our first batch. We both like sweet reds and whites along with the fruity wines. Any suggestions on what to start with that would be an easy first batch?

Welcome aboard to you and all the other recent members. As September approaches I'm getting my list together for my Calif. juices. That also means I have a lot of bottling to do in a few weeks. I'm cleaning bottles like there's no tomorrow.

There is a ton of wines you can start with. What floats your boat specifically.

Hey Skeeter Pee is only a month away from drinking.

Make sure to check out the "map". You can see how many wine makers are in the tri-state area.

Thanks all! :hug Actually not a thing is fermenting yet. I'll be picking up supplies soon to start our first batch. We both like sweet reds and whites along with the fruity wines. Any suggestions on what to start with that would be an easy first batch?

What about trying a Port for your first batch???

Well If you like fruity wines and something quick a mist style wine is right up your alley. here is a link below to a great place to buy wine kits and supplies and you get 10% off your first purchase and then once you spend a certain amount you start getting 10% off every order and the products are 100% guarenteed. There are actually a few lnks as there are a few manufacturers that make these kits and they will be the quickest drinking kits. They are a little low on alc though so lots of us actually add about 3 lbs of sugar to up the abv on these.
http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdListSB.asp

http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdListOB.asp

Redtrk,
Welcome to this great forum. I am from Sidney, Oh - about 40 miles straight north of Dayton. You mentioned that you like the sweet reds and whites - for the last two years, I have driven up to Sandusky, Oh to Firelands Winery and have purchased their juice from their vineyards. I have made some very good Catawba and Niagara wines from their juice that me, and my family enjoy. I'm sure there are some kits out there also that you would like, but this is a possibility also. Good luck!
Russ

Make what you like for the 1st few batches.

Wow! lots of help here and thanks. First of all I guess I should buy the equipment to actually mkae wine. Do you all recommend buying as a kit for a beginner like me or should I skip that and just buy certain things?
We have several local wineries close by. Vinokolet in Cincinnati and Valley Vineyards in Morrow, Ohio being the closest. Seeing what Russ Stewart said do most local wineries sell just the juice?
Also I saw some forum members close to me on the "map". Are they still active, as they could be of some help if I could observe their wine making.

Wow! lots of help here and thanks. First of all I guess I should buy the equipment to actually mkae wine. Do you all recommend buying as a kit for a beginner like me or should I skip that and just buy certain things?
We have several local wineries close by. Vinokolet in Cincinnati and Valley Vineyards in Morrow, Ohio being the closest. Seeing what Russ Stewart said do most local wineries sell just the juice?
Also I saw some forum members close to me on the "map". Are they still active, as they could be of some help if I could observe their wine making.

Welcome,
Yes get a equipment kit you can find them here
http://www.finevinewines.com/
Members on the Map were recently added so contact them or if they see this msg should contact you
Do wineries sell juice? You would have to ask them. Most I doubt it. Find a LHBS than sell juice. I'm sure you can dind something. Now you may have to travel some to get it.

Welcome,
Yes get a equipment kit you can find them here
http://www.finevinewines.com/
Members on the Map were recently added so contact them or if they see this msg should contact you
Do wineries sell juice? You would have to ask them. Most I doubt it. Find a LHBS than sell juice. I'm sure you can dind something. Now you may have to travel some to get it.

Thanks for the info Tom and the link! I watched all of the videos he has for making wine from kits. This is a lot of help and also tells me that I might not want to start anything just now. We are leaving on a cruise September 20th and I don't want to miss a step that should happen while we are gone.
I will however start stocking up on equipment and supplies to be ready when we return.

Hi Redtrk,

LOL, my husband loves jeeps and that is what we do, we ride the jeep checking out wineries.

Welcome and I hope you enjoy your stay.

Hey Redtrk have you ever been to Akron to the Grape and Granary? They have a lot of stuff and good prices. We were just there last month to stock up on some items.

Latest posts

Back