If you could...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colorado_wade

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am still very new to winemaking, and have just the basic equipment. I bought the deluxe starter kit from finevinewines.com, and have since added 2 more 6 gallon carboys. If you were in my shoes equipment-wise, and your spouse told you to order whatever piece/pieces of equipment you wanted, for your birthday, what would you get? I'm looking for those must-have wine-making tools. I guess I should mention that I am currently only making kits, so I would only need equipment applicable to wine kit making.

What should I get? :b

Wade

Wade:

I have no idea what is in a deluxe starter kit, but here goes....floor corker, auto syphon, spare hydrometers, extra air locks, small bungs to fit a wine bottle. The vacuum pump is good...but I'd put it lower down the list, eg I don't have any plans to acquire one.

Steve

I've been at this only 4 months now, and the best purchase I've made (other than the extra carboys) is the allinone wine pump. It just makes things much easier, IMHO.

That deluxe kit is quite complete. I agree with the other suggestions and recommend a vacuum system whether it be allinone or do-it-yourself. Pumps make the whole process easier, cleaner and more enjoyable.

My second suggestion would be a floor corker if you have the room to store it. You can always find good, cheap floor corkers on craigslist.

All in One all the way! It will make your wine making so much easier and fun, even the not so fun stuff. You need glass carboys to use a vacuum pump system but youll never have to lift a full carboy this way and let me tell you from experience its not fun when 1 slips out of your hands or when you tweak your back doing so. Take it from another Wade!!!!! LOL

Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone. I've been thinking about the allinone, so might have to bump that to the top of the list. I haven't bottled a batch yet, but I have a feeling that I'll wish I had a floor corker when I do :) Might have to add that to the list too. What about filters, refractometers, or any other test equipment. How do you guys feel about those?

Wade

Haha, I hear ya Wade. I just racked a batch of Merlot this morning, and those full carboys are heavy and awkward. Might have to put in the allinone order today. Do you guys use the bottling attachment for it?

Wade

Get the bottling attachment at the same time. You won't regret it. My buon vino unit is parked.

the two items I'd say gave me the most "Bang for the Buck" are my floor corker and my hand vacuum pump that I use to degas my wine.

vacuum pump for sure followed by the floor corker

i originally bought the pump for degassing but have since learned how useful it is. since this fall i have racked over 50 carboys worth using the pump and at 6 minutes vs 20, it has saved me hours of time. also being able to rack from the floor instead of needing a counter is a time and space saver. recently i have started using it to bottle and have done 13 batches this way with virtually no mess. by far the best thing i have every used

Latest posts

Back