WineXpert Ice Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horric29

Junior
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

Just a few opinion questions for everyone out there. First, which Ice Wine would you make? The Reisling style or Cabernet Franc style? I see the peach style out there and I'm not a big peach fan. I typically buydiffering vidal ice wine's off the rack in the local state store. Let the opinions roll in!

Also, if I wanted to make 6 gallon's, is the standard packet of yeast and/or chitosan, etc good enough for 6 gallons or would I need to use two (one from each box of juice)? I always hear differing answers to that one. Thanks!

Rich

I don't know if I have had the Riesling style or not but the Cab Franc style is pretty darn good. In regards to the yeast and fining agents, you could get by with a single packet of each but then again it isn't going to hurt a thing to use both. I routinely use 2 packets of yeast in a 5-6 gallon batch. I have had to add extra finings before and all was well. I guess I would say you don't have to but I would if it were me.

I made a white Ice Wine which is the companion to the Red Ice wine which you didnt mention here. It took a while to come around as almost all wines do but must say it is fantastic and actually better then any commercial Ice wine Ive ad to date and will enter it in a few competitions. It is an all juice kit which requires no water and is a few bucks more but worth every cent. Ive never had a problem using only 1 packet of yeast to 6 gallon batches and o so all the time. Each kit will come with a packet though and if you are making wines a little frequently then you really should have a few packets of yeast in the fridge and some SuperKleer KC fining agents as they are both cheap and good to have around. keep the yeast packets in the fridge and warm up prior to use.

Horric, Wade is telling you the good stuff. I'd go with the all juice kit especally if that is a MM kit. I made the WE red ice wine cab franc and it turned out much sweeter than i had expected, i like sweet wine but this is like 13%abv grape pancake syurp! it's ok, it's just SWEET.

JC

The RJ Red Ice wine is my favorite of the bunch. It has a lot of body and will age very nicely. However, Winexpert is uping the ante and is going to make their ice wines and port in 12 liter kits, no water to add. They say it will solve a lot of the fermentation issues.Edited by: geocorn

Port = 48 hrs til Pre-Order.
smiley4.gif

All Ice wines are super sweet, that is what they are and designed after. They are mocks of what would be a grape wine made from grapes picked when frozen so almost no water is extracted when making the wine.

smiley21.gif
I made an Island Mist Icewine Style Riesling and it was so icky sweet that I have mixed it with gewurztraminer, mixed it with my other white wines, tried to give it away. It's finally gone! I guess I'm not a fan of sweet wines and this one was ridiculous!!!!!

Thanks guys....

I'm going to stay undecided for another 24 hours or so. I love the insight. It's definitly supposed to be sweet. I've had it retail anywhere from cough syrup consistency to water consistency. I know it's supposed to be thicker but not like cough syrup... Hmmm....

Rich

Back