WineXpert Ice wine toooooo sweet

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyt

Reaction score
I am doing a Reisling ice wine for a friend that likes sweet wine. Since I dont drink sweet wine at I need help. I recently added flovor pack (all of it) and cleared for three weeks. I recently tasted it and wow how saweet almost syrupie. I have some dry Reisling would it be okay to blend some in. Since this was my first atempt at ice wine i followed instructions to a T. Wish it would have

said add flavor pack to taste. My bad. Question 2 is on a scale of 1 (dry) - 10 (syrup) where should ice wine be. Or what SG to aim for. Btw the friend is not available for tasting.

From what i have read:

180 g/L up to as high as 320 g/L (with a mean in the 220 g/L range)

Ice wine is about as sweet as it gets Tony.

I wouldn't mess with it! Thats the flavor profile. George has it listed at a "10" as for sweetness which is the top of the charts!

This is usually a sippin' wine for after dinner or with desert.

Vineco lists their ice wine as sugar code 18+. So yep syrupy sweet. Great with desserts.

If this is too much for your friend, think about a mist kit for your friend next time.

Steve

Thanks Jon now translate to "wine for dummies". For me.

a wine with 0.2% residual sugar contains two grams of sugar in a liter of wine, or approximately 1/4 ounce in a gallon. Dry wines are typically in the 0.2–0.3 percent range, off-dry wines in the 1.0–5.0 percent range, and sweet dessert wines in the 5.0–15 percent range

Yup ice wine is extremely sweet. I would not mess with it. That's why it is served in very small glasses. Most people wouldn't want to drink an entire wine glass of it.

I bought this kit a few weeks ago, should be getting it into the fermenter soon. Please let me know how this turns out for you!

Cut it with brandy!

I like Ice Wine but really only in the occasional small dose. What I actually prefer is Ice Wine that has been cut with brandy. Give it a try, cuts the sweet down a fair bit but retains many of the same flavours. Ice Wine is even sold in this way. Its cheaper and I enjoy it more, I actually love the Vidal grape that's used in most Ice Wine but fine this a nicer way to appreciate it.

I bought a bottle of ice wine when I proposed to my fiancée, it was the only wine I'd ever tasted that I enjoyed, and my girl loved it, so I've wanted to make it ever since.

Back