i think i poisoned my grapes!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

padolin

Dolin Mountain!
Reaction score
I thought it would be a good idea to maybe put some fertilizer around the bottom of all my grape vines. Last Sunday it finally rained. 3 days later I go out to the vineyard ( and brave the mesquitos) and my Ives grapes have this rust colored thing on the edge of the leaves. it almost looks as if they were burned. Im gonna guess its from over fertilization.

photo.JPG

I used a generic 5-10-10 fertilizer. Maybe 1/4 cup sprinkled around the base of the vine.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

How close around the base? If you were out 18" or more, 2 oz is not that much. And the first number, 5, is the nitrogen. 5 is not very strong. I burn mine with 13-13-13.

yeah, i think it was right at the vine. it may have come in contact with the vine. Could it be something else?

Well, it could be, but in the future, think of it this way. Make them go and get the fertilizer. If your vine's roots are 3 feet long, put the fertilizer 3 and a half feet from it and the roots will get what they need.

Back