I think I am being scammed

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CowboyRam

Reaction score
I have been talking with a young lady that I have met on a dating site, and I think I am being scammed. She said she has an inheritance coming and she wants to turn over control of her inheritance to me. I just see red flags going up, am wrong to feel this way? She wants me to sign a paper, and fax that along with a recent utility bill, and a copy of my drivers license. She said that her attorney is said she should do this. I got an email from what appears to be an attorney in Manhattan. I called this attorney and they have no one by the name of the guy that sent me the email.

Is there a way they can make an email address appear legit, look like it came from an actual law firm?

This just bugs the hell out of me.

Tell her that you can only do this "Face to Face". Set up a meeting and don't forget to invite the police...

Of course it's a scam! No question about it.

I have been talking with a young lady that I have met on a dating site, and I think I am being scammed. She said she has an inheritance coming and she wants to turn over control of her inheritance to me. I just see red flags going up, am wrong to feel this way? She wants me to sign a paper, and fax that along with a recent utility bill, and a copy of my drivers license. She said that her attorney is said she should do this. I got an email from what appears to be an attorney in Manhattan. I called this attorney and they have no one by the name of the guy that sent me the email.

Is there a way they can make an email address appear legit, look like it came from an actual law firm?

I am no expert at this but:

1-signing over an inheritance should require neither a "recent utility bill, and a copy of my drivers license". in order to receive money from an inheritance, which you are legally due, you simply sign a release. In most cases you would have your lawyer read over these documents.

2-you can not simply turn over control, because there may be other parties involved. Instead she would have to "disclaim the inheritance" and then it could go back to other beneficiaries, if applicable. In reality for her to turn over the inheritance, she would have to get the funds and give them to you. just transferring the "inheritance" goes against the wishes of the will in the first place.

3-"I called this attorney and they have no one by the name of the guy that sent me the email. " Tell her to have her attorney contact your attorney!

I think you are being scammed, but just to make sure please send me your SSN # and your most recent paycheck!
:se

Last edited:

You can't be serious...............

I agree with everyone else here !
I believe you are being scammed - face to face with your attorney is always best

Good luck

like others have mentioned - if it sounds too good to be true - then it probably is not

not only that - have you even meet this lady in person yet ?

why would she want to give her inheritance to you ?

I contacted the law firm that they were impersonating and alerted them to the this scam. I forwarded the emails that I got form this so called attorney. As it turns out they added law to the end of attorneys name, and the fax number I was to fax all of this stuff to was not their number. When she wanted to turn over her inheritance to me the whole thing just smelled to high heaven. There were several things that made question this; one was the email I first received was sent at about midnight, and the other grammar and wording just did not appear like it would have ben sent by an real attorney. I am glad I did not get sucked any deeper than I had. There were some red flags that came up, but a rationalized them away. When someone was asking for my signature and SS# I get real unsettled.

It just amazes me the lengths some people will go through to cheat money out of someone.

I got suck in for a while. I am lucky that this did not go any farther. I have read that some people got scammed out of a lot of money. I think I had better count my lucky stars on this one. My first clue should have been the pour grammar. But I dismissed it. I will be more watchful from now on.

I'd say that likely it was so that new credit could be opened under his name.

Cowboy, I was also a target of a scam Sunday. I am selling a car on Craigs list. First text said "is car still for sale"? Duhh, I just posted it. Second text came in " can you post pictures and what is the least you'll take"? That was the clincher as I had six pictures posted.

Then the third text " I can only pay using paypal, if you do not have it here is the link". What they do is give you a bogus paypal address and collect all your bank and personal information. I sent a text back, "Cash only". I never heard another word.

We found a scammer when looking for houses to rent using Zillow. They were out of state because of a death and it's by the grace of God that we are interested......yada yada

It is a shame that we have to be so diligent in watching out for these scammers. I just makes one wonder how they can sleep at night knowing they just bilked some poor soul out of some money.

What concerns me is that if they had proper grammar, spelling, and a more believable story, there would likely be many more that are successful.

sounds legit to me. What could possibly go wrong. AT least it is not from Nigeria.

sounds to me like you are in a pretty good position. Perhaps to solidify yourself with this little lady that you have not yet met, You could enclose a signed, blank check.
Or give her your credit card number.

Let us know who it goes.

sounds legit to me. What could possibly go wrong. At least it is not from nigeria.

Sounds to me like you are in a pretty good position. Perhaps to solidify yourself with this little lady that you have not yet met, you could enclose a signed, blank check.
Or give her your credit card number.

Let us know who it goes.

lol!!!!!!!!!!!

I caught enough scammers in my looking for vehicles - beware !!

They responded in this manner -
I had to sell my car because I'm in the army and send me a money order and the Army will drop it off at your nearest facility. It really is almost too convincing - he gave vehicle id and all.

Yes - I told him that I would fly down and pick it up myself - then no more emails - STRANGE if he really wanted to sell this vehicle ??

Latest posts

Back