Now that is what I call a friend

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
About 3 months ago I lost a dear friend, Bob. Last Saturday, we had his widow come down and visit us. I was worried about her, have not seen her in a while, and just wanted to check up on her and make sure she was OK.

Prior to her coming down, she phoned me up to ask if she could bring a bottle of wine. Laughing, I told her that I had all the wine I could ever need. "You do not understand", she said, "I have a bottle that I want you to try". What could I do but agree?

I prepared a couple of nice platters and cleaned my favorite funnel decanter.

As it turns out, she brought a 1996 Opus One. Despite its value of around $400, this wine is amazingly hard find these days.

Stunned, I said "Are your sure you really want to drink this?". "Bob would have wanted us to enjoy it" was all she had to say.

Thinking about it, she was right. Every couple of years, Bob and I would get together to "pull our best". Bob often said "I could get hit by a bus tomorrow and wouldn't I feel like an idiot leaving behind all this good wine?". Bob always felt that his collection of wine was to be enjoyed.

We opened it up, decanted it, and (after waiting 15 minutes or so) toasted Bob.

Now I know that many members here shun expensive wines and talk them down as being for "Wine Snobs". All I can say is that the label and price had nothing to do with the fact that this was simply the best glass of wine I have ever had. This wine was the very definition of complex. Simply incredible! There are times when I simply love that fact that I am a wine snob.

When the wine was finished, I pulled a nice 2005 Chateau Montelena out of me cellar, and then pulled a nice 1998 Stag's Leap Artemis. Both "follow ups" paled in comparison...

So, we spent the afternoon and evening sipping until 2:30am. We laughed a lot and shed some tears together. It was great to see her again. I am so honored that she asked me to toast Bob. As Bob so often said, "it was one hell of an afternoon"....

Sorry for the log post, but I could not stop typing. This was a very emotional event, one where I felt elated one minute and horribly depressed the next.

Here is a picture of the platters and carafe, and a picture of the Opus One...

IMG_20150411_130548_176.jpg

IMG_20150411_130219_626.jpg

Wine is meant to be shared with friends. The loss of a wonderful friend deserves a wine equal with the importance of the moment. The bottle may be empty but that memory will last forever and that's what its all about. Great story!

Oh and if you would like to replace that bottle with another, you still can! :)

http://www.klwines.com/p/i?s=14CB1A2C4420&i=301229

Thanks for all of your kind words. I was thinking that I should get a small glass box for the cork and put it up on my fireplace mantle. Anybody come across anything like that?

John: In my business I often use a resin that cures crystal clear. I would order a wine glass with the date to commutate the event, I would mix and pour enough resin to cover half way up the cork Place the cork down in the resin and hold it at an appealing angle and let the resin set. This will keep the cork from floating, then mix more resin and pour it over the cork. The cork will be pleasantly suspended in a clear resin within a wine glass. Appropriate to honor the memory Me thinks!

I think the resin idea is perfect. Before seeing that i was going to suggest getting a clear trophy box at a craft store that is used for autographed baseball's.

Back