I need opinions/advice again

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotty

Reaction score
I was just working on my redneck special((Welches (one frozen can to the gallon))
I had not fermented for about 2 weeks.
Since i don't have grapes or fruit readily available, i treat this wine as though the juice came from my own vineyard.
I'm trying ti get a routine.
I originally sanitized the juice with sodium metabisulfite and made a yeast starter.
Then the next day added pectic enzyme to the juice. I allowed a minimum of 8 hours to pass then adjusted sugar after which i also tested and adjusted acidity. Finally pitched yeast.
OK this is weeks back and after a transfer and allowing fermentation to completely stop I racked off the sediment and degassed. . Then i treated with sulfite to stabilize.
After it has been stabilized for about 2 weeks and in what i called bulk aging under a lock, i decided to adjust acidity again and sweeten to my 4 percent taste.

It started to taste fuzzy at that point and when back under lock, the airlock was bubbling. not rapidly but you could see the liquid moving slowly between bubbles. I decided to add sulfite at ..44 grains per gallon . I did that and it bubbled a bit after i re installed the lock and now the bubbling seems almost --almost to a stop.
Any thoughts please.
At this point I'm just watching.

I didn't see a mention of adding any potassium sorbate with the sulfite to prevent the start of fermentation after adding sugar for sweetening.

you are correct. I'm a bit gun shy yet. Ill add it in a bit thanks.
smiley4.gif

Is that a standard practice. I read where sorbate inhibits yeast growth but was not sure i needed it after weeks of thinking there was no more fermentation.

Thanks again
ScottyEdited by: scotty

Potassium sorbate is what stops the wine from refermenting. Without
that, the wine will start fermenting all over again once sugar of any
kind even be it juice. If you have added sugar before sorbate you will
either have to wait till it stops fermenting again and the alc. % will
be higher or you can cold stabilze by putting it in the freezer. By the
way, if you add sorbate you also have to add k-meta.

Scotty,
Even though it had been weeks without any action there are still active yeast cells just looking for something to consume. You should always add sorbate and sulfite together before sweetening a wine to prevent fermentation as Wade said. Give it some time for the fermentation to complete of the sugar you added and verify by SG.

Since it sounds like you have proper amount of sulfiteIdon't think you need to add anymore when sweetening and adding the sorbate.

More info on what potassium sorbate is and how it works:

Potassium sorbate is used to inhibit molds, and yeasts in many foods, such as cheese, wine, yogurt, and baked goods. It can also be found in the ingredients list of many dried fruit products. In addition, herbal dietary supplement products generally contain potassium sorbate, which acts to prevent mold and microbes and to increase shelf life, and is used in such tiny quantities that there is no known adverse health effects. Labeling of this preservative reads as "potassium sorbate," which is made by a reaction of sorbic acid with potassium hydroxide. Also, it is used in many personal care products. Some cosmetic manufacturers are using this preservative as a replacement for parabens.

Also known affectionately as "wine stabilizer", potassium sorbate produces sorbic acid when added to wine. It serves two purposes. When active fermentation has ceased and the wine racked the final time after clearing, potassium sorbate will render any surviving yeast incapable of multiplying. Yeast living at that moment can continue fermenting any residual sugar into CO<SUB>2</SUB> and alcohol, but when they die no new yeast will be present to cause future fermentation. When a wine is sweetened before bottling, potassium sorbate is used to prevent refermentation when used in conjunction with potassium metabisulfite. It is primarily used with sweet wines and sparkling wines, but may be added to table wines which exhibit difficulty in maintaining clarity after fining.

I found a veryinteresting explanation of why kit makers add sorbateas a stabilizer in all their kits and I will post a separate topic with this info.

Scotty if your fermenting again you will have to sweeten again as the
added sugar will turn into more alchohol. This wine might put hair on
your chest and or take it off.
smiley36.gif

Thanks all. I have reasoned that i should have done the sulfating and sorbate before sweetening. Ill ride it out and see.
I must admit i have learned from this mistake in timing.

Thanks all.
il change the wines name from redneck special to red nose special after it finishes fermenting this time again.
smiley36.gif

Should i retreat with sorbate before i sweeten for the second time????
I realize that i have enough sulfates already. I THEEEENK
smiley36.gif

Unless you want it to be a port and then you could just keep doing this
until the alc. is around 18% and pour it in your gas tank.
smiley36.gif

wadewade said:
Unless you want it to be a port and then you could just keep doing this until the alc. is around 18% and pour it in your gas tank.
smiley36.gif

Ill save some for you
smiley18.gif
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back