I may change my views on Rosé Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khristyjeff

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just bottled an RJS Primeur Chili Rosé. Haven't been a fan of the oftentimes sweeter Rosé wines. But I thought I can ferment this one dry so worth a try. I needed the carboy so had to bottle at the earliest day 42 expecting to bottle age for at least 8 weeks. However, it tasted very fruity now, not sweet, to my wife and I, (and no kit taste for those of us who notice this): and compared to an aged store bought wine won the prize. So. I wouldn't hesitate to do this again as an early drinker, and believe this would be a broadly popular offering at Summer parties. 1620273848848.jpeg

I'm not sure about elsewhere, but in the UK rosé got a really bad reputation in the 80's for being cheap and sickly sweet, and unfairly that reputation has stuck to a large degree. Probably because the vast majority of white wine drunk in the UK is of the dry variety (and pretty much bone dry at that!), which immediately puts a lot of people off buying rosé as the immediate perception is that it's going to be sweet or off-dry.

Which is obviously unfair because they are some really good quality rosé wines these days, and many dry varieties. I'm tempted by doing the WE White Grenache which is supposed to be dry - great summer drink as you say!

Had the privilege of working on a non-profit board with a family member of a local, well respected wine shop. I made the comment a few years ago about not liking roses (too sweet). Without being too tacky about my age, he gently suggested I was overly influenced by the Beringer White Zinfandel generation and introduced me to the most amazing rose wines- dry and well-suited for spring patios. Now - the perfect sign of spring for me.

We make a lot of Rose’ here in Texas, I run it until no bubbles in the primary. It comes out dry to very dry (0.992 SG). Great drinking in the hot Texas Summers. I also cut the kit size down to 5 or so gallons, and play with the yeast, sometimes mix in Champagne yeast. Usually leave it in the carboy after the 4th wracking for a spot of bulk aging prior th bottling.

I have a Winexpert Sangiovese Rose kit doing some aging in my basement. Even with Rose kits, I like about 6 months or so in the carboy and then 2 or 3 more months in the bottle before drinking it. I think it is coming along nicely. The taste is wonderful and for a kit, it has a very nice nose. I hope that continues to develop.

Curious what everyone's fav rose´ kit is?

Cheers!
I've made several batches of RJS French Rosé which is pretty good but not like rosé from Provence. Grenache rosé is also very good but still not like that from Provence. I just bottled some Sangiovese Rosé which seems very promising. I'm very excited about RJS Wheel of Fortune French Rosé which I expect to receive today. It looks more like Provençale Rosé than any of the others. I love rosé and enjoy a bottle of it at least once a week.

RJS kits have worked fine for me as have Wine Expert kits. I do play around with them a bit by not making them to a full 6 gallons, occasionaly adding a bit (teaspoon) of Citrus (Lemon, Grapefruit,Or lime) zest. I even tried a small amount of French Oak on one batch. Changing out the EC1118 yeast for Champagne yeast has also given me some very nice smooth Rose’. All of my experiments have been very drinkable so far.

True, EC1118 is a Champagne yeast, but usually selected because it’s an easy yeast to get started and can take higher alcohol levels. Good choice for red or white wines is why it is usually packed with most kits.

Thanks for the comments @Sailor323. I'm curious if you could describe the taste of the Provençale Rosé you really like. Not to put you on the spot but you really got my interest!
Describing taste is hard to do. Most of the Rosés from Provence are very pale in color and, while definitely fruity, have floral notes accompanied by flinty overtones. The Rosés from the Rhône valley and from Spain and Italy tend to be much darker in color and heartier, fruitier more berry like. The RJS kit is more like the Rhône wines. On another note, most people drink Rosé (whites, too for that matter) too cold, right from the fridge. 45-50 degrees is better

Describing taste is hard to do. Most of the Rosés from Provence are very pale in color and, while definitely fruity, have floral notes accompanied by flinty overtones. The Rosés from the Rhône valley and from Spain and Italy tend to be much darker in color and heartier, fruitier more berry like. The RJS kit is more like the Rhône wines. On another note, most people drink Rosé (whites, too for that matter) too cold, right from the fridge. 45-50 degrees is better
Good info. I learned something, again! Thanks.

I decided to use D47 for my Rose´ & am gonna hit it with some oak post fermentation.

Cheers ✌

Latest posts

Back