I may change my views on Rosé Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice, you may want to consider filling the bottles a little higher unless you plan on drinking it pretty quickly.
They'll all be consumed this summer...

Using my stainless spring loaded bottle filler...that's as much as I can get in....right to base of neck. Guess I should be topping each bottle off manually another .5-.75 inch...eh

Cheers!

They'll all be consumed this summer...

Using my stainless spring loaded bottle filler...that's as much as I can get in....right to base of neck. Guess I should be topping each bottle off manually another .5-.75 inch...eh

Cheers!

Probably not a bad idea but if they will be gone this summer it probably won't be an issue.

Very nice, you may want to consider filling the bottles a little higher unless you plan on drinking it pretty quickly.
When using my filler tube, I let the wine fill to the brim of the bottle, and when I pull it out, the wine level drops to just a bit above the bottom of the neck in Bordeaux bottles. [I've had LOT of practice at this and yeah, sometimes I goof and spill a bit of wine.]

This is a bit higher than shown in the pictures. Note that in Bordeaux bottles the head space increases rapidly when the wine level is below the neck, as the bottle widens.

Look at commercial Bordeaux bottles for a guide on how much to fill.

When using my filler tube, I let the wine fill to the brim of the bottle, and when I pull it out, the wine level drops to just a bit above the bottom of the neck in Bordeaux bottles. [I've had LOT of practice at this and yeah, sometimes I goof and spill a bit of wine.]

This is a bit higher than shown in the pictures. Note that in Bordeaux bottles the head space increases rapidly when the wine level is below the neck, as the bottle widens.

Look at commercial Bordeaux bottles for a guide on how much to fill.
I've been trying that same technique 👍

The Costco Argentia Ridge Chardonnay + back sweetener from another wine upfront + four days on light purple table grape skins was a winner. 10 out of 10 preferred the light pink result to the straight-up Chardonnay, which was also very good.
In both cases, I shorted the water to produce 25 bottles per batch rather than 30. The wine was dry with an alcohol content of just over 15%.

Last edited:
Isn’t White Zinfandel actually a Rose? I got a request to make a Rose and I can get a bucket for a great price in the fall. I suspect fermented dry, it should be palatable.
Technically, they call it a blush, a slightly less pinkish pink. From what I've read, the term blush originated with White Zinfandel.

We liked this kit a lot. We didn't tweak much so will be interested in your updates!
Update: Bottled the Rosé on September 15th, 2021 using the AIO. I ran it through a 1 micron filter. I opened a bottle last night and was very pleased with the result. The nose was vibrant and bright, notes of watermelon, berries, very subtle hint of a darker red fruit. Felt that the subtle hints of darker fruits may have been influenced by the Rhone 4600 characteristics and complexities. On the palate, it had good mouthfeel, acidity was good for my liking and again good fruit characteristics. I did chill a bit prior to drinking and unbiasedly enjoyed it more than commercial rosés that inspired me to do one.

Update: Bottled the Rosé on September 15th, 2021 using the AIO. I ran it through a 1 micron filter. I opened a bottle last night and was very pleased with the result. The nose was vibrant and bright, notes of watermelon, berries, very subtle hint of a darker red fruit. Felt that the subtle hints of darker fruits may have been influenced by the Rhone 4600 characteristics and complexities. On the palate, it had good mouthfeel, acidity was good for my liking and again good fruit characteristics. I did chill a bit prior to drinking and unbiasedly enjoyed it more than commercial rosés that inspired me to do one.

Sorry, which kit is this?

Well we just bottled the Wheel of Fortune RJS Rose yesterday. Honestly it tastes similar to the home made Dragon's Blood recipe we made a few years back. Not impressed so far. It's about 6 months old.

When I made my Rose’s a kit I add a strawberry fpak too the primary and excellent enhancements

Well we just bottled the Wheel of Fortune RJS Rose yesterday. Honestly it tastes similar to the home made Dragon's Blood recipe we made a few years back. Not impressed so far.
I don't know how close to a Provence style Rosé that kit was but out of curiosity, do you like dry France style Rosé wine or are you more into sweeter white Zinfandel kind of Rosé?

Latest posts

Back