I know how to drink wine but not how to make it...yet!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E1M

Junior
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Actually I used to make wine many years ago and have recently started off again.

Main changes I see so far is in the equipment.

I am sure that I shall be seeking help though.

Be gentle with me please.

Iain

Hi everyone,

Actually I used to make wine many years ago and have recently started off again.

Iain

Welcome Iain. Like you, I was away from winemaking for many years and just recently came back. The folks on here (veterans or new alike) have been fabulous, down to earth and simply great for helping. Jerry :dg:b

Hi everyone,

Iain

Welcome to WMT. Making wine is like drinking it, only different - whatever that means. :h

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, E1M. When you made wines years ago, what was the basis? Juice? Fresh fruit? It is like riding a bicycle but a lot more fun!

Last edited:
Well thank you everyone.
Actually I have only ever used fruit and vegetables for making wine, never concentrates.
I have just got parsnip wine on the go and an Elderberry wine.
The Parsnip I used a recipe off the web and the Elderberry I modified one I found in a book. I doubled up quantities really. 12 lbs berries, 9 lbs sugar, I left it to soak for 4 days, stirring daily, strained, the mixture, not me! Onto the dissolved sugar. Added yeasts, camden tablen etc... stood back and waited.
In these times of thick insulation etc in buildings I find it hard to find somewhere that maintains just the right temperature, 65 degrees plus.
I have mine stored in the airing cupboard, next to the hot water tank.
However, although the Parsnip wine is making a healthy "Plop, plop" the Elderberry wasn't.
Until yesterday, wwhen I moved it into the lounge by the woodburner.
Then Vesuvius took off!!!!!
I moved it away after a while and it calmed down.
Now to sit back and wait for results to taste.
What are you all up to this year?

Latest posts

Back