I just dry pitched and prayed...now a question :)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

detyianni

Junior
Reaction score
I started my first 5 gal batch of SP on Sunday morning, let it sit until last night around 11pm, had a brew belt on and got impatient and just sprinkled my blue red star yeast on top. My heart sank as I watched the yeast sink almost immediately. I figured I'd let it ride till morning.

This morning I went downstairs to my furnace room to check on the SP and there are yeasties floating on the top a slight yeast smell in the air but not much action. Nothing really. I gave it a quick stir and jumped in the shower.
About an hour later I peeked under the towel again and see my little congregation of yeasties is back just hanging out.

So if I dont have any action by this evening is it ok to make a starter to dump in using one of the various methods tonight? Or is adding yeast twice a bad thing? Or do I continue to let it ride and see what happens? I am just scared that it will go rancid or something before fermentation kicks into high gear.
Thanks for your help everyone!

I started my first 5 gal batch of SP on Sunday morning, let it sit until last night around 11pm, had a brew belt on and got impatient and just sprinkled my blue red star yeast on top. My heart sank as I watched the yeast sink almost immediately. I figured I'd let it ride till morning.

This morning I went downstairs to my furnace room to check on the SP and there are yeasties floating on the top a slight yeast smell in the air but not much action. Nothing really. I gave it a quick stir and jumped in the shower.
About an hour later I peeked under the towel again and see my little congregation of yeasties is back just hanging out.

So if I dont have any action by this evening is it ok to make a starter to dump in using one of the various methods tonight? Or is adding yeast twice a bad thing? Or do I continue to let it ride and see what happens? I am just scared that it will go rancid or something before fermentation kicks into high gear.
Thanks for your help everyone!

to quote the old tv show "kung fu", "patience, grasshopper"....never fear...yeast propogation is not an instantaneous event...sometimes it can take upwards of 36-48 hours to see "visible" signs of fermentation, depending on such factors as yeast strain, must temperature, and what type of wine you are making....and considering you are doing skeeter pee, which is highly acidic, it does take a bit sometimes before you will see the fermentation kick into high gear....the fact that your yeast are on top of your must is a good sign....give it a little more time, and remember, the greatest attribute a winemaker can possess is "patience"....welcome to the hobby, and good luck!!!!....have fun with it....

I agree. Give it at least two days. I'm sure it will be going strong for you by then.

Will do. Thanks again. I'll post an update when we have liftoff.

I just racked my first kit to a carboy last week and already feel like the sight of an empty fermenting bucket is wasted time and space hence jumping right into the SP!

rule of thumb with this stuff is up to three days ,but ive never sprinkled red star on it to start ive always used lavin 1118 once it starts you can tell ,anyway if it doesnt look like its started in 3 days you may put a half teaspoon of yeast energizer in it and see if that helps if the yeast is active you should be able to tell by the fizz

My money is on it is going. Make sure the must is warm, S.P. likes it 75 degrees or so. Maybe even a bit warmer. Keep o2 stirred in. Good luck with it, Arne.

I agree with Arne, you got fermentation and stir it at least once a day. For the record, I always sprinkle my yeast on top of my must.

Woke up this morning to fizzing like a can of soda. No foam but fizz ....I gave a stir and headed out the door for work.

Sounds like I'm good? Thanks for all the replies

I made a thread and posted a pic almost exactly like yours about a year ago. I think it was my first or second batch of pee so if it makes you feel better you are not alone! Been there. Done that.

Down to 1.050 added yeast energizer per instructions and whipped thick yeast head still. Do I wait till its gone to rack to carboy?

Thanks

Down to 1.030 tonight ...smells very "alcoholy" right now. Am I still on the right track?

In the secondary for a couple days now...still fizzing like a soda. Good times... I'm not going to bother checking sg till the airlock settled down.

ForumRunner_20130123_162953.jpg

Is it bad to start in a carboy? Its fermenting strong.

No it is not bad. Most of us start it out in a bucket for a primary. It is easier to add ingredients to it, it is easier to stir it up when in a bucket and usually it does not stand as much of a chance to blow out the top with the larger mouth on a bucket. The small mouth on a carboy tends to funnel the fermenting wine when you get a good rollin ferment going. Arne.

Latest posts

Back