I added too much juice concentrate help!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heraldj07

Junior
Reaction score
So at some point this week I decided I would make a dandelion wine. My grandfather was known for his great home made wine and that sparked my interest in wind making. He has long since passed on and along with him went the recepie.

I picked up a starter kit from a local brew supplier in cincinnati ohio. It included a 5gal carboy siphon tubes cleaners 5 gal primary bucket cleaner hydrometer and vapor lock.

The kit came with the "winemakers recipe handbook" from the 70s. Perfect enough, it came with a recipe for dandelion wine as follows:

7 cups of dandelion petals
1/2 pt white grape concentrate
1 gal hot water
2 lbs sugar
3tbs acid blend
1/4tsp tannin
1/2tsp energizer
1 crushed campden
1 package wine yeast

7 cups of dandelion petals was labor enought for me to be very careful with my measurments yet i still messed up my recipe.

I put in a full pint white grape concentrate.
From what i understand this is used for body and not flavor. What will this do? Is it ruined? Should I start over?

I wanted to create an easy to drink/sweet wine am i headed in the right direction?

I do not know much about dandelion wine - but I would personally would add more dandelions if I could -

I think you would be fine, 1/2 pint is really not going to change anything and like Steve said you can throw in some extra dandelion.

And welcome to winemakingtalk!

Thanks for the tips. I may have to do that.
I'm very excited to start making others after this one. Any suggestions for a sweet light lemon wine?

jd beat me to the punch-that's what I was going to recommend. Let us know how it goes:b

My wine has been in the primary since the 24th. I'm not seeing any movement in the Bubbler and my SG is sitting around 1.110. what should I do? I noticed that there is a lot of sediment when I go to stir daily... Recipe says I should be at 1.000 by day 5. I think its stuck.

I suppose I would get another package of yeast (recommend ec-1118 in such a case), and either make a starter or at least rehydrate it.

In fact, I would do both. It takes a few days to make a yeast starter. Might as well toss a packet of yeast in the must at the same time you start the starter. Can't hurt anything, only costs $2.

I suppose I would get another package of yeast (recommend ec-1118 in such a case), and either make a starter or at least rehydrate it.

In fact, I would do both. It takes a few days to make a yeast starter. Might as well toss a packet of yeast in the must at the same time you start the starter. Can't hurt anything, only costs $2.

Harold what I do at fermentation is take bout 1/2 cup of warm water NOT HOT add a pinch of sugar, pinch of nutrient stir add yeast cover with plastic wrap and in about an hour or so its bubbling then add to must in a couple hrs there is always fermentation taking place.

@peaches
Do i add the same amount of yeast as i did in the original recepie or just a small amount.

This was my process when i first started the batch.
Boil water put in the dandelion and add all other ingredients besides yeast.
Let steep for 24hrs.
The next day (this is where i started assuming)
Add yeast. I took one pack (makes 5gal) and put 1/5 of that in a separate small container. Added lukewarm water and stirred and added nothing else. I did this because from my baking with my mother you need to "activate" the yeast and not boil it or freeze it. I stirred and stirred until it was dissolved.

Unfortunately the recipe book is not descriptive enough to help out. It just says add yeast.

If i add yeast that i start as mentioned by Peaches, will it reactivate the other yeast or is it dead and never coming back. :?

Back