WHOOPSIE! Way too much tannin!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDaveK

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm putting together my jelly wine this morning and the recipe calls for 1 1/2 tsp of tannin powder. A voice is telling me that seems like a lot. Another voice is telling me let's get this done. OK, 1 1/2 tsp it is. I look at the recipe for the next ingredient and the 1 has vanished! Gone. I just needed 1/2 tsp. Swell. I know, I know - measure twice, cut once.

Well, mistakes are great teachers (you betcha!) and after searching it seems the most prevalent solution was either bentonite or aging for a loonngg time. But I also found this - egg whites, bit'o water, bit'o salt mixed together, added after fermentation. Seriously!? Oh, I love weird and unusual! Has anyone tried this? How many eggs per gallon?

And no jokes about egg wine,
this is serious............................................................................................................................................................................................ 😂 😄😂

So I'm putting together my jelly.………

this is serious............................................................................................................................................................................................ 😂 😄😂
yolks on you Dave ! 😂

Last edited:
As Bryan says, let it go and see what develops. I did use egg white to fine a troublesome Petit Verdot. I'm not sure it was too tannic but just not right. Anyway, I think it may have helped. I read this article first: Fining Agents - The Australian Wine Research Institute and think I used one egg white for the 18 gallons. I'll see if I recorded the amount in my notes. I left it for ten days and racked off the fine lees and bottled. Frankly I was tired of fooling with the batch. I bottled one bottle with a screw top and it seems to be improved. I'm hoping more age will do the trick.
On a side note I already heard about using fresh (apparently you must milk the cow directly into the wine) to remove green herbaceous flavors in Cab Franc.

So I'm putting together my jelly wine this morning and the recipe calls for 1 1/2 tsp of tannin powder. A voice is telling me that seems like a lot. Another voice is telling me let's get this done. OK, 1 1/2 tsp it is. I look at the recipe for the next ingredient and the 1 has vanished! Gone. I just needed 1/2 tsp. Swell. I know, I know - measure twice, cut once.
Always remember. Less is more
Well, mistakes are great teachers (you betcha!) and after searching it seems the most prevalent solution was either bentonite or aging for a loonngg time. But I also found this - egg whites, bit'o water, bit'o salt mixed together, added after fermentation. Seriously!? Oh, I love weird and unusual! Has anyone tried this? How many eggs per gallon?

As Bryan says, let it go and see what develops. I did use egg white to fine a troublesome Petit Verdot. I'm not sure it was too tannic but just not right. Anyway, I think it may have helped. I read this article first: Fining Agents - The Australian Wine Research Institute and think I used one egg white for the 18 gallons. I'll see if I recorded the amount in my notes. I left it for ten days and racked off the fine lees and bottled. Frankly I was tired of fooling with the batch. I bottled one bottle with a screw top and it seems to be improved. I'm hoping more age will do the trick.
On a side note I already heard about using fresh (apparently you must milk the cow directly into the wine) to remove green herbaceous flavors in Cab Franc.
Thanks @VinesnBines and everyone else!!
I don't have cows or chickens. Enough hobbies for now. A buddy of mine had a dairy farm and it seemed like too much work for the average human. Wish he still had it because I'd love to try making good cheese.

I'm re-reading a lot of the material I looked at before I started and a lot never sunk in, bounced right off. Now that I have a reference point with my own experience I'm understanding and remembering more.

I may try the egg white just to see what happens. We'll see... That's "out there" and unusual so I had to ask.

0.5 to 1.0 ml per gallon OF WHAT?
I take it your telepathy is not working today??? It may be that mine isn't, either! ;)

Beat the egg white with salt and water (according to recipe, which I don't know off the top of my head), and add 0.5 to 1.0 ml of that to a gallon of wine. It's a surprisingly small amount. I suspect a full egg white, even from a small egg, would strip the wine.

I take it your telepathy is not working today??? It may be that mine isn't, either! ;)

Beat the egg white with salt and water (according to recipe, which I don't know off the top of my head), and add 0.5 to 1.0 ml of that to a gallon of wine. It's a surprisingly small amount. I suspect a full egg white, even from a small egg, would strip the wine.
OH 😮 (me thinks my telepathy shutdown for software upgrade)

Just wondering, Does anybody try to make “bad” cheese ? :rolleyes::w
Well, there's grocery store, mass produced "cheese". I suspect the FDA has changed the definition of cheese over the years.
Then there's cheese that sits in a cave for a year or more. The star on the plate. Eye-rolling knock-your-socks-off taste bud heaven.
And then there's limberger.

Outstanding! Thank you!
The article I read was detailed enough to say it removed phenolic compounds associated with astringency but not how much to use.

Outstanding! Thank you!
The article I read was detailed enough to say it removed phenolic compounds associated with astringency but not how much to use.
I read several articles before I found one that said "how much". I find that a lot of articles answer every question except the one you were searching for ....

Latest posts

Back