hydrometers calibrations and temperatures

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What im still confused about is the black and white instructions are showing a reading at 1010. does that mean its calibrated at 1010?

I'm sure the illustration in the instructions is just an example of how to read it.

Hey another question here, Maybe this is simple but im confused about the hydrometer and its markings. When I look at my hydro it has 0% alcohol listed at the 1.000 marking. But often times our alcohol drys out below 1.000, to as low as .990. So how can it go below 0%?

In addition to what Malvina said, remember the alcohol reading on your hydrometer is only for potential alcohol and is meant to be read before fermentation begins. This is to help you determine how much sugar you want to add to reach your alcohol target.

In addition to what Malvina said, remember the alcohol reading on your hydrometer is only for potential alcohol and is meant to be read before fermentation begins. This is to help you determine how much sugar you want to add to reach your alcohol target.

And that percentage assumes you will only ferment to 1.000. Since we frequently go well below that, I ignore the potential alcohol amount.

And that percentage assumes you will only ferment to 1.000. Since we frequently go well below that, I ignore the potential alcohol amount.

Okay, so just to clarify, if I want to use the potential alcohol meter on the hydrometer when mixing my must then the wine has to stop ferementing at 1.000 for the PA % to be corrent. Is that rite?

Its amazing that any of them are accurate after haveing them shipped halfway across the country packed on a pallet in the back of a big rig for three to four days. :)\
and thats not counting what they went through before I ordered them.

Its amazing that any of them are accurate after haveing them shipped halfway across the country packed on a pallet in the back of a big rig for three to four days. :)\
and thats not counting what they went through before I ordered them.
Then maybe you should test them with 25 brix lab standardized solution before you sell them. Ya think?
Malvina

Okay, so just to clarify, if I want to use the potential alcohol meter on the hydrometer when mixing my must then the wine has to stop ferementing at 1.000 for the PA % to be corrent. Is that rite?

Your hydrometer should have included instructions. Most provide examples, and give you tables that tell how additional 'PA' to add when the reading goes below 1.000.

Every 7.36 gravity = 1% alcohol. This is the reason I prefer using the gravity drop to calculate abv. The different ways to calculate give slightly different results. I use (SG - FG)/7.36.

Ex.
SG = 1090
FG = 990

1090 - 990 = 100
100 / 7.36 = 13.58

If you plug the numbers into FermCalc, it will display the results for several of the most popular methods.

http://web2.airmail.net/sgross/fermcalc/FermCalcJS.html

To finally answer your question directly, yes, the PA scale is based on 1.000 being zero. However, most ferments will end with readings lower than this.

Back