Hummingbird feeder

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodo

Reaction score
My wife and I found this awesome hummingbird feeder today at a Big Lots store for $8.00 and thought it would be a perfect addition to our back yard this summer.

IMG_0088-1.jpg

so cute! i haven't seen these, but maybe just wasn't looking close enough. me and my mil always have several hummingbird feeders. it's so fun to watch them chase each other!

Is that for you when you are out in the yard to far away from the celar and need a sip? Thats cool, my hummingbird feeder went bye-bye last year so its time for a new one this year.

Hummingbirds are really amazing. Did you know...
(From the world of hummingbirds)

Hummingbirds are the tiniest birds in the world.
Hummingbirds can flash their bright colors, as well as hide them when needed.

The bright radiant color on hummingbirds comes from iridescent coloring like on a soap bubble or prism.

A hummingbird's brain is 4.2% of its body weight, the largest proportion in the bird kingdom.
Hummingbirds are very smart and they can remember every flower they have been to, and how long it will take a flower to refill.

Hummingbirds can hear and see better than humans
Hummingbirds can see ultraviolet light and have no sense of smell.

A hummingbird will use its tongue to lap up nectar from flowers and feeders
and it's tongue is grooved like the shape of a "W".

A hummingbird's heart beats up to 1,260 times per minute and up to 250 times per minute at rest.
A hummingbird's heart is 2.5% of the total body weight.

A hummingbird will take about 250 breaths per minute while at rest.
A hummingbird's metabolism is roughly 100 times that of an elephant.

The hummingbird's body temperature is about 107 degrees Fahrenheit (40 degrees Celsius).

A hummingbird can weigh anywhere between 2 and 20 grams.
A penny weighs 2.5 grams

Female hummingbirds are usually larger than male hummingbirds.
Hummingbirds do not mate for life and male hummingbirds do not help raise the young.

Female hummingbirds do all the nest building and a hummingbird baby is about the size of a penny.
Most hummingbirds die in the first year of life with but have an average life span of about 5 years.
Hummingbirds can live for more than 10 years.

A hummingbird wings will beat about 70 times per second.
Hummingbird's wings will beat up to 200 times per second when diving.

Hummingbirds are the only birds that can fly both forward and backwards.
Hummingbirds can also hover in mid-air, fly sideways and even upside-down.

A hummingbird can fly an average of 25-30 miles per hour.
A hummingbird can dive up to 60 miles per hour and a hummingbird's wings will rotate in a full circle.

Some hummingbirds will travel over two-thousand (2,000) miles twice a year during migration times.

A hummingbird will visit an average of 1,000 flowers per day for nectar.
Hummingbirds eat small soft bugs for protein.

Hummingbirds are only found naturally in the Americas and as far north as Alaska, as far south as Chile.
A hummingbirds favorite color is red.

Amazing!

Those are some very interesting facts. The no smell seems so wrong. I would have thought it would be very good to find the flowers better.

Learn something everyday!

I thought Wade was the smartest one here, I now know it is Steve

Last year I was buzzed by the bee hummingbird. I seriously thought it was a bumble bee. I was ready to rearrange his rear end with his head when I noticed it looked different.

For a brief few seconds I watched this incredible tiny thing dart about the flowers and take off. Never noticed them before. Now you make me wanna go and get a h.b. feeder. My wife hates birds but I think h.b. would be an exception.

No I'm not the smart one, Wade, Luc and many others are the silent professors. Big thanks to them.

Latest posts

Back