Howdy!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rube-a-Billy

Reaction score
Rube here!

livin in sunny AZ.

Very new to the craft, got my start while looking at all the oranges and grapefruits that were about to go to waste on my trees and decided to turn them into wine. may not have been the best to start with but they were free
smiley4.gif

Got a couple things from some friends, visited my lbh andrecently bottled:
5 gal of orange, i sure hope it mellows. Tasted like everclear.
1 gallon of grapefruit, this one has some potential
drank
1hard lemonade
1hard iced tea

getting ready to start my first kit!!

wish i had found you earlier, just browsing the How To Tutorials (Read Only)this a.m. i learnd a lot that could have made my short wine life easier.

Looking forward to digging deeper into all the knowledge.

P.S. I also got a apple wine that i'm making from a gallon of cider that may find the drain
smiley21.gif

Welcome Thanks for joining in.....

Keep on making your wines...You'll get plenty of information and help here...

Welcome Rube.

Don't deep six the apple yet. They can come out very harsh when young. A lot of times if it isn't to your liking, sweeten it slightly with pure apple juice after adding k-meta and k-sorbate to prevent fermentation of the added juice. Then give it about six months and it will be much improved. You need patience more than anything with this hobby!

thanks appleman,

good to hear.
wheni did a second rack, lots ostuff in there, and more to go. i gave it a taste and it made my orange taste good.

kind like lightning that had no resemblance of apple or any wine i have ever tasted.

See learning already.

got a lot of bottles so when i get it in'em i'll put it in the corner and kinda Fogetaboutit for a while.

welcome Rube! Did you have a recipe or a hydrometer to test the Starting SG? Most beginners wing and dont find out to start a fruit wine with a lower SG so that the fruit wont be buried by abv. A good starting SG for a fruit wine is 1.085.

Welcome to the forums. Hope your orange wine turns out great. That is one wine I have tried to make without a lot of luck. If it turns out good be sure to post your recipe and any tips that made it work for you.

Welcome aboard Rube, apple was one of the first I made, remembabout it in abouta year and it will be different!
smiley20.gif

Rube, welcome to the Forum!! I too am from sunny AZ. Whereabouts in AZ are you?

Let us know how your wines are doing.
smiley36.gif

Thanks for all the warm welcomes.I'm looking forward to my time here.

Wade, i did use a hydrometer. but to tell you the truth i'm not 100% sure i used it correctly that time but have been using it on someother projects and i think i've got the hang of it. I think some of the fire may have been the result of using 1118, most of the recipes pushed for using it but maybe something a little more tame may have been the better choice.

Smurfe- another error on my behalf is not keeping great notes. newbie, but i've made some changes:) if it turns out i will share what i have.

jw-i'll be putting it in bottles soon. and shall f/u with you in a year.

ua- tempe is where i call home, these days. started life in il, spent some time in tx

thanks

bc

Welcome! It sounds like you've got some interesting wines going there. Time is nothing but your friend when you make wines from scratch. ESPECIALLY if it's from something other than grapes.

Latest posts

Back