Well I just realized I haven't updated this story for a while....last year was a blur. I landed a large contract and didn't really have time to do much with the plants except water them by hand a few nights a week. So by last summer I had about 8 or 10 that showed hope but the hot summer months were hard on them and by fall most had lost leaves, the weeds had invaded and it was really just a sad state of affairs, a nightmare to keep weeded and I finally gave up. I haven't been out yet this year to even look to see if anything survived a second winter, the weeds are 4' tall and I am contemplating dozing the whole area under and starting again with new plants. I found a local supplier selling 1 gallon pot size plants for $15 each. I may just buy a number if varieties and do it again, with a nice grass between rows to keep the weeds down, drip lines, proper poles and supports.
Anyway, that's the update for now. I will hack my way thru the weeds to see if any of them show life, but the John Deere 450 is 100' from the vineyard and ready to clear the area for a new start if they are dead.
Thanks all for the support and guidance, I learned a lot, and if I ever find another vineyard parting with their plants, I will get them in the ground within a a few days.