how to use a hydrometer for newbies

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

jdrum

Reaction score
ok i want to start a thread on how to use and under stand a hydrometer.
as a relitive newbie, i look at the problem with a different perspective than the more experienced, when i got my first hydrometer, i didn't know crap about it
so i read the directions, and tutoriels, some were good and some were confusing

so this will be a work in process, and i welcome ANY constructive critisim to improve the topic.
DSC04767.1 [DVD (PAL)].jpg
this is a start, looking at the sg scale. i plan to do another pic relating the other scales as i have time
hyd6.jpg
update

jim

Last edited:

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
WMT Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Jim, that was an awesome pictorial. Thank you for the information.

Angelina

Reaction score
Thanks Jim, for confirming that I was doing it right, sometimes I wondered since I am really a hands on kind of gal. A picture is worth a 1000 words to me.

cpfan

Reaction score
Great picture and labels Jim. Don't know why this hasn't been done before. I'm pleased to see the spec gravities quoted as 3 decimals even though they end in a zero. Maybe next you can do a picture showing a reading that doesn't end in zero, eg 0.992.

My only comment is that some kits may finish about 1.000 (Cellar Craft Winery Series did this when first introduced), and others about .995 (many RJ Spagnols kits).

Steve

jdrum

Reaction score
thanks for the thums up everyone. like isaid this is a work in progress so i will take your coments and add to what i build in the future if you don't mind. as i add material i plan to edit and add it to the original post.
i am not happy with the pic and plan to do a better one.

jim

Last edited:

Sammyk

Reaction score
Actually, the photo is good. I wished something like this was available when I first started. I have since figured out how they work. I am sure it will help many though.

jdrum

Reaction score
THANKS WADE, that made a great day perfict.

jim

Last edited:

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Can you make that pic a lot taller so the font is readable? Wider would be no good.

PCharles

Reaction score
Nicely done Jim!

Yesterday I started my Cranberry Wine. I'll be adding yeast later today. The my starting SG is 1.095. I hope you don't mind my contribution to your already excellent thread.

Dec 04-2011-8-1.jpg

jdrum

Reaction score
thanks pcharles thats the kind of show and tell that makes things eazyer for newbies to understand.

jim

Last edited:

Giovannino

Reaction score
Thanks Jim - that labelling took a LOT of work.

My only problem is that I cannot read the notes. Perhaps you can host a LARGER readable version (I might be asking for too much if you have a limited connection) on the net somewhere like photobucket.

Again thanks - pictures like this help a LOT.

jdrum

Reaction score
ok lets try this
View attachment 3232
thats better, after 4 trys starting from scratch, each time!
i am going to post this pic in the original post to keep the updates together at the begining.

jim

Attachments

Last edited:

Giovannino

Reaction score
Thank you for your troubles.
I was able to read everything and perhaps even the last number should be 1.12 instead of 1.112 although I don't think that would make a difference.
At least now I know how to read a hydrometer

Latest posts