How to sanitize ?!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hector

Reaction score
Hi there !

What is the best way to sanitize a muslin or a cloth which will be used for pressing and

obtaining the Juice after the Primary ?

Hector

Spray with Kmeta or StarSan. StarSan is a contact sanitizer, where Kmeta does its best as a fume sanitizer.

If I soak it in K-Meta solution , then should I spray K-Meta on it every now and then during pressing ?

I'm asking this because I'm going to squeeze it each time after pouring a small volume of the Must onto it .

Hector

Whatever you use to squeeze it should also be sanitized then with K-Meta or some type of no rinse sanitizer. Spray your hands if they be the tools.

When making a wine with grape skins, I dip the bag in K meta, wring it out by hand, rinse with hot water and wring it out again before adding the skins. As Mike said, make sure your hands are also sanitized.

If I soak it in K-Meta solution , then should I spray K-Meta on it every now and then during pressing ?

I'm asking this because I'm going to squeeze it each time after pouring a small volume of the Must onto it .

Hector

Not sure what you are asking, but you only have to sanitize bag just before you put it in the must. If you want to squeeze it periodically, you can sanitize your hands first, then do it, but I would not do that.

The best approach to squeezing it periodically is to press it against the side of the bucket with your stirring spoon, which should be sanitized EACH time it is used.

There is a big difference between sterilized and sanitized. Even if you sanitize your hands, it is just not a good idea to use them and expose the must to potential bacteria.

Stirring the bag around and pressing it with the spoon is all you need to do. The CO2 keeps the wine flowing very well; there are currents inside the fermentor that you don't even see.

When squeezing the grapeskins I usually wear a pair of latex gloves that are sprayed with Kmeta - it may or may not be more sanitized than my hands but is sure a lot easier to clean up|

Latest posts

Back